Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Shore Handling, Marks and Blinds

Summary
  • Series A. At Cheltenham, working on shore-handling toolkit and beginning work on swim-by (Lumi)
  • Series B. At Cheltenham, working on land-water-land retrieves (Laddie)
  • Series C. At Sundown with Nate throwing, marks and blinds (Lumi)
  • Series D. At Black Hill, alligator drill (Laddie)
Note: Although Series A and Series B are listed as sequencial activities, each actually consisted of several sessions, with one dog training while the other waited in the van.

Series A. With the opportunity to work on a channel rather than a beach, I had Lumi run several versions of shore-handling toolkit Tool #8, Over-LTW-W.

In one version, I positioned her along the side of the channel, placed a dummy in her mouth, ran to the end of the channel, and cued Over. She entered the water, and as she did so, I ran to the other side of the channel and cued Here, and she swam across to the other side and came out of the water to deliver the dummy. We did that in both directions, right to left and left to right.

In another version, I placed the dummy at the side position, then stood with Lumi at the end of the channel and over to the side, so that she could run to the dummy without cheating around water. I cued Back, and when she arrived at the dummy and picked it up, I blew WS and cued Over into the water. Lumi entered the water and I ran around to the other side of the channel to take delivery. This was close to the diagram for Tool #8 shown in the post for May 21.

Although I was focused on Tool #8, when Lumi was completing her delivery, both of those exercises also incorporated Tool #9, Over-WTL-W, in this case with no WS. Here's the diagram for Tool #9:



Since that work showed that Lumi now has some proficiency with all the tools in the toolkit, I decided to start work on the traditional shore-handling drill called the swim-by. In the version we worked on today, the steps were as follows:
  1. With Lumi and me at the end of a channel, I cued Back. Lumi entered the water.
  2. When Lumi was 20 yards out, I blew WS.
  3. Lumi turned in the water to face me, and I cued Over, using both the verbal cue and an arm movement to show the correct direction.
  4. Lumi turned 90° and began to swim toward shore.
  5. I threw a dummy onto the shore where she was headed. Lumi came to shore, shook off, picked up the dummy, and turned toward me.
  6. I blew WS and Lumi sat, still holding the dummy.
  7. I cued Over, and Lumi entered the water.
  8. I ran to the opposite side of the channel and cued Here. Lumi continued to swim across the channel.
  9. As Lumi was about to climb onto shore, I ran back to the end of the channel, and she followed me to complete the delivery.
  10. I reinforced with cheers, happy throws, and tug.
We ran the above drill a total of four times, two with Lumi swimming right to left in Steps 7-9, two with Lumi swimming left to right. In future versions, I'll begin to fade how much I run to the side of the channel in step 8, until a time comes when Lumi performs a complete swim-by while I remain at the original position.

Series B.
Although we were at Cheltenham rather than Black Hill, I tried using the fixed-target drill described in yesterday's post with Laddie. We set up at the side of one of the channels, where the water isn't too deep for me to walk in, and with an easy slope into the water.

The fixed-target drill did not work. Laddie would complete the retrieve enthusiastically if I was standing on land, but as soon as I moved into water, even with him starting on shore, he would not run to the thrown dummy to retrieve it.

I decided to try using a long line once again, and brought out two of them, 15' and 40'. Alice had suggested some conditioning with the long line if we were going to use it again, so I put on Laddie's collar and attached the 15' line, then made happy throws both on land and in open water. Next I sent him on a couple of open water retrieves with the 40', and then a 55' line (the two lines attached to one another). Then, over a series of four sessions, we worked on shaping land-water-land retrieves using a number of channels and a number of procedures, which I varied in response to Laddie's evolving performance.

Laddie's best retrieves of the day included the following:
  • A throw onto a thin, grassy island, which Laddie retrieved with no line.
  • A throw to water on the far side of that island, requiring Laddie to re-enter the water after crossing the island both coming and going. Laddie performed that retrieve with no line.
  • A throw to water's edge at the far side of a channel, which Laddie retrieved with no line.
  • A throw onto the far bank of a channel, which Laddie performed three times while wearing the line.
For those last retrieves, only a slight tug was required to cue Laddie to turn, re-enter the channel, and make an enthusiastic delivery. Yet when we tried this retrieve without the line twice, Laddie marooned both times. To bring back over, I had to drive away in the van, a procedure that does not, apparently, cause the marooning behavior to decline.

Notes on today's work:
  • Twice during various sessions, when sent to a dummy that was on the opposite bank, Laddie entered the channel and swam a few yards, but then turned around in the water and came back. I felt that it was important Laddie not learn that as a successful strategy for avoiding something he found difficult. Both times, I cued Back repeatedly until Laddie finally completed the retrieve. I was afraid he might begin to refuse the Back cue, which might be even worse than not completing the retrieve, but luckily, that didn't happen. We celebrated his successes on those retrieves with high enthusiasm, including cheers and applause, bites of cheese, happy throws, and games of tug.
  • Several times when I threw the dummy onto the opposite bank, Laddie was reluctant to go, and needed to be cued with "Laddie", "give it", or "back" more than once. This had me deeply concerned that our training was creating a negative association with retrieving in general, and could be producing a disastrous future tendency to no-go. However, periodic tests showed that Laddie continued to retrieve with his usual exuberance on land or into open water at any time during today's sessions. In addition, by the last session, Laddie was back to making his trademark big air water entries on his send-outs to throws across the channel, even when the dummy landed on the opposite bank, and even while wearing a long line.
It seems to me that our progress in both of those situations depended on Laddie's particular personality. I could imagine a dog who would have refused to respond to the Back cue to get him into the channel and all the way across to the dummy on the opposite bank, or a dog whose enthusiasm would be dampened by the discomfort of the long line and the difficulty of the work. I feel fortunate that Laddie's character showed responsiveness and resilience, allowing him to overcome those challenges.

Series C.
I set up Series C at Sundown Road Park with the intention of running both dogs, and decided to run Lumi first. But as she was finishing her series, people began walking thru our course heading for one of the baseball fields we were using, apparently preparing for a practice or game that afternoon. While I felt that Lumi was fine maneuvering around them to complete her retrieves, I didn't want to risk Laddie going out of control and so packed up when Lumi was finished. I also noticed that the temperature seemed to be rising and didn't want Laddie's performance to become distorted.

My challenge in designing Series C was that I had three objectives which taken together were in conflict:
  • I wanted the dogs working on relatively short blinds, less than 150 yards.
  • I wanted them working on relatively long marks, well over 150 yards.
  • I wanted the dogs continuing to learn that they should push past throwers and old falls when running a blind.
After some thought, I came up with a set-up that seemed to meet all those criteria, and also included some other challenges. Left to right, within a 120° angle, with #1-#3 within 45°:
  • #3: 140-yard blind, orange dummy, at the base of a prominent tree with no marker, tight to Nate and the chair for #2 on the right, with woods along the left edge and diversions — two white bird houses and several other trees — in the same general direction as the blind
  • #2: 100-yard mark, a duck thrown away from the line (TAL) for #3, thrower's position marked by a chair
  • #1: 120-yard blind, orange dummy, at the base of a prominent tree with no marker, with a large white sports pole and another prominent tree acting as diversions in the same general direction as the blind
  • #4: 160-yard mark, pigeon, with thrower's position marked by a stickman, the thrower and stickman difficult to see from the SL because of a tree tight to the line so that we were looking under the boughs of the tree to see the thrower and stickman
Notes on Lumi's performance:
  • #1: Lumi dug back repeatedly on the sports pole, was sluggish when I used Here for attrition
  • #2: No problem
  • #3: Dug back repeatedly to the woods, perhaps because we've recently been practicing placements of blinds inside treelines; again sluggish on Here
  • #4: No problem finding the thrower or marking, which included maneuvering around people walking to the baseball field, but on the return in the growing heat, tried to settle down under the shade of a tree about halfway back to the SL
Series D. Back at Black Hill in the afternoon, I again tried Laddie on the fixed-target drill, and in that location, perhaps it was the site of our other recent training, it worked. However, it soon evolved into the same drill as the advanced alligator drill: Laddie and I start in the water, I throw the dummy to shore, Laddie retrieves it and brings it back out into the water to me.

Over two sessions, sandwiching a variety of open water retrieves for Lumi, Laddie had many successful retrieves to shore and back into the water. His performance was remarkably predictable: the longer the throw, the more avoidance Laddie showed for completing the retrieve — looking off into the distance, shaking off, eating grass, etc. I could not determine for sure whether this was proximity to me, or a higher resistance to turning around on land than on water, but given that he can do 300 yard retrieves on land with confidence and enthusiasm, it seems more likely to me that his aversion was to the transition from land to water. Thus he is confident on a throw from land to land, and on a throw from water to water (even deep water to shallow water), but lacks confidence on a throw from water to land.

Another question is how much our morning's work at Cheltenham with the long line led to improved performance back on the beach at Black Hill. Since Laddie had been stalled for a couple of days at a particular level of performance, and seemed to have broken thru that this afternoon, perhaps the morning work did play a role.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]