- Series A. Delayed cheater (both dogs)
- Series B. Delayed cheater (both dogs)
- Throw a poorman cheating single, that is, a mark that will invite the dog to run the bank, divert to a point, avoid a particular entry, exit, or section of water, or in any other way veer from a straight path between the SL and the fall.
- Run the dog on a pre-positioned blind, preferably one that also invites cheating.
- Run the dog on the cheater thrown in step 1.
Although Laddie has had less experience with cheaters, he is nearly caught up to Lumi in his ability to perform well on them, and sometimes performs better than she does on the identical retrieve. Today, I decided to run both dogs on the same two set-ups, in each case running Laddie first, then Lumi. The set-ups were pieced together from elements of the set-ups at yesterday's training day with our Field Trial group.
In addition to this being the first time Laddie was running the same set-ups as Lumi, it was also his first experience with water blinds, and his first experience with DCs, where he sees the mark thrown, but runs a blind before retrieving the mark.
Series A. The set-up:
- #1 (thrown first, retrieved last): 80-yard LWL mark (dummy) thrown from the position of a stickman, including a 30-yard swim and a road crossing, with angle entries at both ends of the swim and a cheating opportunity around the water to the right
- #2: 40-yard LWL blind (duck), including a 20-yard swim beside an S-curve, with a cheating opportunity to the left
Despite the stickman, Lumi seemed to have some trouble remembering the mark after running the blind, and veered along the near shoreline when I sent her on "Lumi". When I called her back to heel and send her on "back", she took a straight line into the water and on to the fall.
Series B. The set-up:
- #1 (thrown first, retrieved last): 60-yard LWL mark (dummy), thrown from a stickman across the channel from the fall (called a bridge mark), with the fall in high grass, and including a 30-yard swim with angle entries at both ends of the swim
- #2: 50-yard LWL blind (duck), including a 40-yard swim past points first on the right, then on the left, and a cheating opportunity to run around half the channel on the right on the return