Thursday, July 2, 2015

Water double, two water triples, and a land blind

Today I picked up one assistant and we drove with Laddie to the nearest training property. There we continued the pattern of our recent training sessions (including one two days ago that I did not record) by running three water multiples and a land blind, as follows:

Series A. Water double with two bridges

I set up two chairs with white coats. My assistant threw the first bridge mark from the chair on the right LTR across a channel and over a small island, out of sight. I then threw a side throw and my assistant ran to the other chair while Laddie retrieved that. My assistant then threw the second bridge mark from the chair on the left RTL across a channel to a point of land. 

The lines to both marks offered opportunities to cheat by running banks, but Laddie took good lines to both. He did not climb over the island, however; he swam around it.

Series B. Water triple with bridge and two re-entries

I set up two chairs with white jackets.  From the left chair, my assistant threw a bridge mark RTL across a channel. I then threw a side throw to give her time to run to the other chair. From the right chair she threw a momma-poppa. The momma was on an angle back RTL across a small inlet to a point of land. The poppa was on an angle back LTR.

The line to the poppa, the go-bird, was a land segment, across a pond, across a strip of land, across a water-filled ditch with the opportunity to cheat around it, up a steep embankment, and a short land segment to the fall. The first time Laddie ran it, he started to cheat around the ditch. I called him all the way back and sent him again. The second time he took a good line.

Next I ran him to the bridge mark on the left. The line was a land segment, a channel crossing, and a land segment. Laddie took a good line.

Finally I ran him on the center mark. The line was a land segment, across a pond, over a point of land, across an inlet, across a strip of land, across another inlet to the mark. The first time I sent Laddie, he entered the water too far to the left and I thought he had forgotten where the mark was and was returning to the old fall. So I called him back and had my assistant fake a throw. But when I sent him again, he took almost the same initial line, so maybe he had not forgotten. The reason he took that line was that he didn't want to go over the point and was positioning himself to swim past it  He then continued on a good line to the mark.

Series C. Water triple with two re-entries and a retired momma-poppa

I set up two chairs with white jackets. From the left chair my assistant threw a momma-poppa. The momma was an angle back RTL. The poppa was a flat throw LTR. I then threw a side throw to give my assistant time to run to the other chair. When Laddie returned with the side throw, my assistant threw an angle back RTL over an inlet as the go-bird.

The line to the go-bird was down an embankment, across a channel, across a strip of land, and across the inlet to the mark. The first time I sent Laddie, he started to run around the inlet. I called him back and sent him again. This time he took a good line.

As he was returning, I had my assistant run back to the chair on the left and remove the white jacket, then retire behind a tree.

I then ran Laddie on the middle mark, another re-entry but this time with the gunner retired. He took a good line.

Finally I ran him on the retired mark to the left, again down an embankment and across a channel, but then with a land segment and no more water. He took a good line.

Series D. Treeline land blind

I ran Laddie on the same 250y land blind as I did in our previous two sessions. The blind is off a mound, past one tree on the right and another on the left that set the boundaries of a narrow corridor, thru swampy footing with some high cover, and up a hill to the blind. The treeline for a section of woods creates strong suction to the right most of the way, and the end of the woods creates suction to wrap around the woods to the right near the end of the blind.

The first day Laddie ran this, he ended up wrapping around the woods at the end and was out of sight for a short time. The second day he ran it, he zig zagged too wide and ran past the tree on the left on the outside. Today, he ran it well. Here's a video:


No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]