Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hunt Test Training, Retrieve Shaping, Shore-handling

Today the dogs and I trained with Bob Hux's Tuesday Hunt Test group at Cheltenham (Series A and B). One of the other trainers then threw a couple of marks for Laddie (Series C). Finally, working alone, I continued training with both dogs on shore-handling, first at the west channel, then at a new location on the property. Summary:
  • Series A. Bob's land series (both dogs)
  • Series B. Bob's water series (both dogs)
  • Series C. Retrieve shaping (Laddie)
  • Series D. Shore-handling tool kit, Tool #4 Back-WTL-W/O (both dogs), and continued work with Laddie on Tool #2 Here-LTW-W
I ran both dogs off lead all day, and both dogs were steady, even on the flyer in Series A. Both dogs showed excellent motivation the entire day.

Series A. Bob's land series was set up as follows:
  1. 70-yard mark, hand-thrown duck with line to the fall through a large pool of standing water
  2. 80-yard mark, winger-thrown pheasant, with the bird landing in high cover and a pool of standing water
  3. 50-yard mark, duck flyer, thrown and shot so that dog had to run around the station's holding blind to get to the fall
  4. 140-yard blind, pheasant marked with a lining pole, seen from the SL as between two trees; the tree on the left was actually closer to the SL than the blind, and the one on the right was actually further back
LUMI

I planned to have Lumi run this as a triple and a blind, with the throws #1-2-3, to be run #3-1-2. Lumi retrieved #3 without difficulty, but did not seem to remember #1 when I sent her. I asked the thrower to help, but calling hey-hey and blowing the duck call didn't draw Lumi away from the SL.

Next I tried to run #1-2 as a double. Lumi retrieved #2, but again did not remember #1 the first time I sent her. I lined her up again, sent her, and this time she remembered the fall and marked it well.

Lumi ran the blind about the same as most of the other five dogs who ran it, with 3-4 casts.

LADDIE

Laddie ran the series as singles in the order suggested by Bob, #3-2-1, and then ran the blind. Laddie brought picked up and returned with all the birds, including the flyer. I tried no auto-whistle on #1 (Laddie's third single) and he still had a fast pick-up and came running back. However, I turned my back to because of a dispute with another trainer who was trying to force unsolicited advice about Lumi's multiples on me, and when I looked back again, Laddie had dropped the bird in the water and was standing over it looking at me. I called Here and he completed the delivery.

Laddie then lined the blind, the only one of six dog running the blind to line it.

Series B. Bob's water series was run in a stickpond with lots of decoys, was run with hand-thrown white dummies, and was set up as follows:
  1. 20 yards into open water
  2. 30 yards past an island into an small inlet
Lumi ran the series as a double, which Bob said made it about the equivalent of a Senior water double. Lumi did great. She even completed a diagonal swim back from #2 instead of squaring to the bank, which was inviting on that mark.

Remembering Lumi's difficulty with the multiples in Series A, I realized that I had not had her check out all the stations before having the first bird thrown, in either the triple or the double. When we ran Series B, I turned to face both stations back and forth several times, and Lumi turned her head to look at whichever one I was facing, before I called for the first bird. Perhaps that's one reason she had no difficulty with the double on Series B.

Laddie ran the series as two singles, in the order #2-1. After picking up #2, he got stranded on the island for a little while, but finally found his way into the water and swam back well. He had no problem with #1.

When Laddie was stranded on the island, running back and forth but not entering the water, one of the other trainers commented, "He's just screwing around over there." I disagree. Going by Laddie's body languate, Laddie was not acting playful. He wasn't throwing his head or prancing. To me, he appeared to be earnestly trying to figure out how to get in the water while carrying his dummy.

Series C.
Because Laddie had dropped a bird in the standing water in Bob's land series, I asked one of the other trainers to throw a couple of marks for Laddie at that same location, though changing both the SL and the falls from the marks we had run in Series A.

I asked her to throw on 90-yard mark and one 180-yard mark, both ducks, gunshots but no duck calls. The first fall was just beyond the pool of standing water, while for the second mark, the pool was at the mid-point of the line from the SL to the fall. The second mark was also thrown over a dirt road.

Both of Laddie's retrieves in this series were excellent, with no problems of any kind. His send out, pick up, and return were all exuberant — I didn't use a whistle on the second one — and in addition, he did not drop the bird, he didn't look around during his returns, and his deliveries were solid.

Series D.
The intent of this series was to begin work on SHTK Tool #4, Back-WTL-W/O:



Working at the west channnel, Lumi did it correctly the first time, so that was the end of Lumi's training day.

Laddie, however, did it poorly: He only turned halfway to me, and not on "tweet", but only when I prompted with "sit". So we tried it a second time.

This time, Laddie became so spooked by the woods behind the embankment — he's stared into them on previous days for some reason — that I decided we needed to move to a different channel for our training to be productive.

I'll call the new channel "the pines channel" because there's a pine tree on both sides of the narrowest point of crossing.

At the pines channel, Laddie once again beached when we tried a simple land-water-land retrieve, and I reacted by driving the van away, which once again brought him across with the dummy and chasing me.

At Alice's suggestion, I tried throwing a tennis ball and then a smaller, puppy dummy. Laddie beached with both of them, also. Since the article didn't seem to matter, I switched back to our 3" white dummies.

We then did another dozen poorman singles across the channel. About 75% of the time, Laddie beached when he first got to the other side. Each time he did not respond immediately to Here, I got in the van with Lumi and drove away, stopping 200 yards down the road. When Laddie caught up, I silently took the dummy and gestured for Laddie to jump in the van, and then we drove back to the pines channel. On those times that he did respond immediately to Here, I reinforced with bites of cheese and cheerful praise.

Finally, we had two correct responses in a row. Tomorrow, I hope we'll have time to train at the pines channel again, and we'll see if the beaching problem stays fixed. If so, we can work some more on Tool #4.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]