Friday, May 16, 2008

Re-entry Drill, Shore Handling

This morning we drove to Cheltenham for shore training. In Laddie's case, we focused entirely on his re-entry to water carrying a dummy, using a new drill I gradually designed, which I call the Re-entry Drill. In Lumi's case, we went onto the next tool in the shore-handling toolkit I came up with, the first Over tool. Summary:
  • Series A. Re-entry Drill (Laddie only)
  • Series B. Tool #7, Over-LTW-W/O (no WS) (Lumi only)
Series A. Today's goal for Laddie was to work on his re-entry into water after picking up the dummy during a land-water-land retrieve. Ostensibly this is Tool #2, Here-LTW-W (no WS), of the toolkit, but Laddie's only difficulty with this tool is the re-entry, and that continues to be a major stumbling block.

After several experiments, I finally found a sequence in which Laddie would consistently, though still hesitantly, enter the water with a dummy. I'll call this the Re-entry Drill:
  1. Make 2-3 happy throws to an open area on land near the water re-entry point.
  2. As Laddie gets close to deliver on the last happy throw, run or back into the water, calling Here as necessary. In early retrieves, Laddie only had to get his feet wet. In later retrieves, I backed up enough that he needed to swim a few feet to complete the delivery. In today's practice, if I got more than 3' from Laddie he'd stall at the shoreline. Sometimes Laddie would run beside me into the water, but most times I had turn around to face him and call him repeatedly.
  3. Take delivery of the dummy in the water.
  4. At this point, I experimented with two alteratives: Option 1. Throw the dummy 3-5' further into the water for Laddie to swim out to, then leave the water while Laddie was in the middle of that retrieve. Or Option 2. Throw the dummy onto land and as Laddie swam, then ran, to retrieve it, leave the water behind him. I thought that Option 2 would be more reinforcing for Laddie's delivery into water in Steps 2-3, on the assumption that Laddie finds water aversive, but Option 1 seemed to provide more comfortable re-entries the next round. I take it that this means that Laddie doesn't find water or swimming, but rather entering water, or entering water while carrying something, aversive. So perhaps it's the transition into water that makes him uncomfortable, even after hundreds of water entries since he was a puppy.
  5. After Option 1 or Option 2, take delivery on land near the shoreline and play a rousing game of tug.
  6. Go back to Step 1.
Today's training with Laddie is discussed further below, under "Re-entry Blues".

Series B. I felt that Lumi was ready to try the next tool in our shore-handling toolkit. I remembered that the next tool was Tool #6 and that it was an Over, but I forgot which Over it was and actually worked with Lumi on Tool #7, Over-LTW-W/O (no WS):



As with previous tools from the toolkit, this was easy for Lumi and required no actual training. I didn't even need to put the dummy in the water before cueing Over. Instead, I'd cue Over, Lumi would jump in the water and start swimming, and I'd throw the dummy to where she was swimming toward.

We ran five retrieves of increasing distances, and we practiced Over to both the left and the right. On the last retrieve, I placed Lumi 40 yards from the SL along the right edge of a channel, then took my position at the end of the channel and cued left Over. Lumi entered the water sideways and I threw the dummy into the middle of the channel to the position Lumi was swimming toward. She picked up the dummy, turned, and swam toward me down the middle of the channel and up onto shore to complete her delivery.

Next session we'll go back in our toolkit numbering and work on Tool #6, Over-WTL-W/O.

Re-entry Blues. It is seems clear to me at this point that Laddie's problems with re-entering the water after picking up a dummy on a land-water-land retrieve is not a shaping issue. Laddie is fluent in retrieving dummies, and has had enough successful and extrinsically reinforced re-entries that it seems likely he has an accurate mental picture of the correct response. Yet the fact that he does not choose to make re-entries suggests that his reinforcement history is not sufficient to overcome whatever adversity is involved in the behavior. Apparently, Laddie finds entering the water, especially with an article in his mouth, aversive enough to overshadow all the intrinsic and extrinsic reinforcement he has had in his life for retrieves in general, and the re-entry in particular.

Therefore, I now see this as a conditioning issue, akin to Lumi's gun shyness when we first began field training in early 2007. To address the problem, I've tried to find a way to create a highly positive association with re-entry, which I called the Re-entry Drill. What Laddie seemed to be learning from the Re-entry Drill is that re-entry predicts a whole chain of desirable outcomes:
  • The opportunity to deliver the dummy
  • The opportunity to get back on land
  • Games of tug
  • Happy throws on land
In addition, the drill also involves running alongside Daddy, a chase game that generally excites Laddie and also a companionship activity like those that Laddie often does spontaneously whenever we are together, such as running upstairs with me at bedtime.

When we addressed Lumi's gun shyness last year, we used a procedure called Desensitization and Counter-Conditioning (D&CC). The Re-entry Drill may be similar, but I don't think that a desensitization component is involved, because I don't see Laddie as having some irrational fear that I can systematically habituate him to. Nonetheless, hopefully I can produce sufficiently effective counter-conditioning that the results will be the same as a successful D&CC program.

As I recall, it took approximately six weeks of daily sessions with Lumi to get her relatively comfortable with gunfire, and once she experienced it in the context of field work, the associations became even more positive. It's unfortunate that a similar timeframe will involve long and expensive daily drives to Cheltenham with Laddie for the next several weeks, but if it enables Laddie to become successful with land-water-land retrieves for the rest of his career, it will be well worth it.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]