Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Blinds, Alligator Drill, Shore-handling Toolkit

Summary
  • Series A. At Sundown Road Park, a triple blind (both dogs)
  • Series B. At Black Hill Regional Park, continued work with alligator drill (Laddie)
  • Series C. At Black Hill, shaping Tool #8, Over-LTW-W, of shore-handling toolkit (Lumi)
Series A. I set up a triple blind intended to practice the following concepts:
  • Short and long blinds combined
  • Salience, that is, helping the dog learn to sight on a prominent target in line with the blind
  • Key holes
The series was set up as follows, left to right in a 90° angle:
  • #1: 60-yard blind, orange dummy with no marker, in line with a prominent tree 30 yards beyond
  • #3: 240-yard blind, duck with flagging tape in small tree behind the blind, thru a keyhole formed by two trees 80 yards from the SL
  • #2: 160-yard blind, orange dummy with surveryors flag marker, thru a keyhole formed by two trees 80 yards from SL, in line with a prominent tree 50 yards beyond
Both dogs completed all retrieves in the order #1-2-3, but both dogs became slow on WSs at distances greater than 150 yards. In addition, Lumi refused several casts at those distances.

Series B. This was continued work on shaping Laddie for land-water-land retrieves using the alligator drill suggested by Alice.

After every successful retrieve to me in the water, Laddie and I played a rousing few seconds of water tug, and then I cued Out and threw the dummy a few feet further out into the water. As Laddie retrieved it, I started to shore, sometimes letting him catch up to me. Once on shore, I took the dummy and threw it, cued Shake for Laddie to shake off, and then played more tug and had another happy throw or two. After that, I repositioned Laddie in a sit for the next retrieve.

Today we started with Laddie in a sit 10 yards inland from the shoreline of the lake, and me 15 yards into the water. For the first several retrieves, I placed the dummy directly in front of Laddie at 6 0'clock (6-oc), then gradually placed it more to the side until he was turning to 9-oc and bringing me the dummy.

Next, I started throwing the dummy to 6-oc, 7-oc, 8-oc, 9-oc from the water. Finally I tried throwing the dummy to 10-oc, and Laddie picked it up and brought it to me, but with some hesitation before entering the water. I then ended the session with a happy throw and more tug.

Before having Laddie get in the van, I used two dummies to throw a poorman double, easy and fun, on the lawn next to parking.

Series C. Today Lumi and I worked on Tool #8 of our shore-handling toolkit, Over-LTW-W:



Unlike the previous tools, this tool is requiring some shaping. Today's shaping of Tool #8 went as follows:
  1. Happy throw into the lake so that Lumi could get used to the water.
  2. Three reps of Tool #7, Over-LTW-WO (no WS).
  3. I placed the dummy in Lumi's mouth while she was in a sit in the same location as Step 2, walked 10 yards away along the shoreline, and cued Over into the water.
  4. Lumi entered the shallowest water and walked in an arc around me.
  5. I again positioned Lumi as in Step 3, but this time I walked out into hip-deep water before cueing Over.
  6. This got Lumi to carry the dummy into the water to swimming depth, circle me, and carry it out again.
  7. We repeated Steps 6 and 7 a second time.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]