Friday, May 9, 2008

Distraction-Proofing, Remote Send and Delivery

On a rainy day before Lumi's Hunt Test tomorrow, the dogs and I had a light session of training at the neighborhood lacrosse field. Renee and Gabriel helped Laddie and me with our distraction-proofing drill, and then Lumi learned to complete a retrieve with me as the handler remaining in a remote location. Summary:
  • Series A. Distraction-proofing (Laddie)
  • Series B. Remote send and delivery (Lumi)
Series A. Today's drill was a continuation of Wednesday's distraction-proofing drill. In today's version, Renee stood at one place on the field throwing a tennis ball for Gabriel and intermittently giving him treats when he retrieved it.

That was a distracting situation because typically, Laddie would be highly drawn to any activity that involved R&G, would race Gabriel to the tennis ball whenever Renee would throw it, would try to take the ball away from Gabe if he already had it, and would try sitting in front of Renee to get a share of the treats being distributed. In addition, Laddie would typically ignore recall in such a situation unless I was at close range and used an insistent tone of voice.

With R&G playing on one part of the field, I played with Laddie about 50 yards away. A typical cycle would be as follows:
  1. Daddy throws white dummy
  2. Laddie runs to dummy
  3. Daddy says "here" just as Laddie pounces
  4. Laddie runs back to Daddy with dummy
  5. Daddy takes dummy and tosses a treat (a chunk of turkey dog or liverwurst) about 6' away
  6. Laddie runs to get treat
  7. Daddy again says "here" just as Laddie pounces
  8. Laddie runs back to Daddy
We also used abbreviated versions of that cycle. In addition, if Laddie turned to look at R&G as he ran, I called "no" and did not give him a treat. I made the next throw of the dummy much shorter.

By the end of the session, we were able to continue this drill in immediate proximity to R&G. In fact, after throwing the dummy and watching Laddie run to it, I would position myself so that R&G were right between Laddie and me. In the last half-dozen reps, Laddie showed that whether the tennis ball was just being thrown, or Gabriel was in the middle of a retrieve, or Renee was dispensing treats, Laddie would pointedly ignore their activity and return to me on every call.

That was the success I was hoping for.

Series B. During this series, I trained Lumi to perform as follows: I set her up at a pole acting as an SL, positioned myself 20 yards away to make a throw of the dummy, released Lumi on her name to run to the dummy and pick it up, and directed her back to the original SL without moving myself. When she arrived at the SL, I called "sit" and she turned to face me and sat while continuing to hold the dummy. I then ran to her, took the dummy, and gave her a high-value treat.

It turned out that this was a relatively easy trick for Lumi to learn.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]