Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hunt Test Training

With rain coming down in buckets and an expected high of only 60° today, I phoned Bob when I woke up this morning to ask whether we'd still be training, and he said he was already on the road to Cheltenham. So I packed up Lumi and Laddie and we drove out to join the group, which to my surprise had three other trainers and their dogs there as well. Luckily, the rain slowed down and finally stopped as the session continued, and the pond water was apparently comfortable for the dogs despite the cold air temps. By the time I got there, they were in the middle of setting up the first series, which was two water marks. Later, we ran a second series with another water mark as well as the day's only land retrieve. Summary:
  • Series A. Two water marks with the group (Lumi and Laddie both ran the series)
  • Series B. A water mark, a blind, and a land mark with the group (both dogs again)
Series A. When I first arrived, I thought Series A looked too difficult for Laddie, and maybe even for Lumi, especially given the cold weather we've been having, and I decided to just throw at one of the stations. But one of the other trainers assured me that the water was fine and that the marks weren't that difficult. First I ran Lumi, and when she did well, I thought I'd run the series, slightly modified, with Laddie as well.

LUMI

This was the set-up for Lumi, left to right:
  • #1, a 40-yard mark (duck) thrown with a winger into a large patch of high grass in marshy terrain
  • #2, a 70-yard mark (duck) thrown with a winger into the water near the shoreline, with points of land on either side of the line to the fall
I ran Lumi from well inland, giving her a better view of the throws than closer to the reed, and also increasing the interest of the retrieves by making the distances half land, half water. I was told #1 was a good opportunity for the dog to practice hunting in tall cover, but Lumi took a straight line to the fall and didn't require a hunt. She also did well on #2, not veering toward any of the land masses and instead swimming straight out and back. In addition, I waited to whistle on #2 to see whether a recall would be needed, and it wasn't. Lumi picked up the bird, then turned around and swam back.

LADDIE

Knowing that Laddie would likely maroon if the fall was too close to shore, I called for modifications to both of the marks described above, again running them from well inland as I had with Lumi.

On #1, the thrower carried the winger to water's edge and the bird was thrown well out into the middle of the pond. Laddie had no difficulty with the retrieve.

But on #2, the fall was too close to shore. Laddie swam out, picked up the bird, and took it to shore. He would not re-enter the water, and even when the thrower took the bird and threw it back in the water at my request, Laddie went out to get it and then brought it back to the far shore. When I saw that, I headed for my van and drove around to where I could walk out to Laddie, slip on his lead, and walk him back to the van without the bird. That's when the incident described below under "Bad Dog, Question Answered" occurred.

Series B. For this series, Bob combined a water mark, a land blind, and a land mark. Once again I ran both dogs from inland rather than water's edge, but I modified Laddie's water retrieve. In addition, the blind had no more birds when I ran Laddie, so one of the trainers was kind enough to run out and place a blind while Laddie was running the first mark. But she placed the blind in a different location than the others had been. As a result, Lumi and Laddie again ran somewhat different series.

LUMI

For Lumi, the set-up looked like this, left to right:
  • #1, 70-yard land-water mark (duck), thrown by winger to far shoreline, opportunity to run bank along right edge of the pond
  • #3, 90-yard land mark (duck), thrown by winger from shadows under a tree into large area of high cover, with line to the fall thru high cover, marshy terrain, and pools of standing water
  • #2, 110-yard land blind (duck), beside a large tree and marked by a lining pole, again with line to the blind mostly thru high cover
Lumi ran her series well, pinning the marks, and lining the blind. Bob commented that Lumi looks ready to run in a Senior test.

LADDIE

For Laddie, the set-up looked like this, left to right:
  • #1, 60-yard land-water mark (duck), thrown by winger to open water, the fall equal distance to land on all three sides
  • #3, 90-yard land mark (duck), thrown by winger from shadows under a tree into large area of high cover, with line to the fall thru high cover, marshy terrain, and pools of standing water
  • #2, 90-yard land blind (duck), thru a keyhole formed by two trees and into a small stand of trees, the bird placed in front of one of the trees with no marker, the line to the blind thru medium cover
Like Lumi, Laddie ran his series well, and at his usual breakneck speed. Like Lumi, he pinned both marks and lined his blind, too.

Steadiness. I ran both dogs off lead today, as I have been doing for some weeks. Lumi has been steady for some time and continued so today. In the recent past, Laddie has crept at times, especially when a winger was used, as it was on all of today's marks. But today, Laddie was steady on every mark, with no creeping.

Bad Dog, Question Answered.
After driving to the other bank to put Laddie on lead and walk him to the van after he marooned on mark #2 of Series A (see above), I stood at the van wringing out our chamois so I could dry him, my foot on the loop of his leash.

On the other side of the pond, Bob was calling for a throw for one of his dogs, but I was barely aware of it. The winger was more than 100 yards away, thru marsh, waist-high grass, and a swimming-depth channel, and the fall would be into a pond beyond the rise. I didn't think it would tempt Laddie, and I had something on my mind.

I wasn't worried about Laddie marooning. We're working on that problem, and I have reasonable confidence that we'll get it fixed and events like today will someday be relegated to the distant past. My concern was different.

I was wondering, is Laddie losing his courage? I have a video on YouTube of him retrieving across a channel when he was much younger, and I'll never forget another day, when he scaled a cliff on the far side of Brink creek to retrieve a duck I was trying to discard in the high cover. Would Laddie be motivated to perform either of those displays of prey drive today? Or have I made some error in his training and somehow killed that spark?

I sighed and continued wringing the chamois. In the corner of my mind, I heard a shot fired and a winger released. Suddenly, a flash of golden fur brought me out of my reverie. Laddie had broken from his sit, easily pulling the lead out from under my foot, and was racing toward the point where the bird must be landing. I called Here a couple of times but to no avail. I started trudging after him, watching as he bounded, splashed, and swam straight for another dog's bird. A moment later, I saw him disappear over the crest, and then heard him splash into the water. I learned later that the other dog, a powerful yellow Lab, got the bird, but I felt terrible that Laddie had interfered.

I was worried that I'd be in trouble with Bob and the other trainers, and yet, I couldn't help the fact that my spirits were actually lifted by the incident. That question I'd been asking myself — Had Laddie lost his drive, his courage, his need to retrieve at all costs? I had my answer: No, apparently I hadn't broken him after all.

"That's my boy," I thought, relief mingled with illicit pride. "That's my boy."

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]