Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hunt Test Training, Shore Handling

Today we trained with Bob Hux and other trainers at Park Heights. After the water series, I spent some time with Laddie on the problem he is having with shore handling, which is re-entering the water on the return from a land-water-land retrieve. Summary:
  • Series A. Bob's land series (both dogs)
  • Series B. Bob's water series (both dogs)
  • Series C. Working with Laddie on water entries
Series A. Bob's land series set-up was within a 90° angle, and was made up of the following retrieves left-to-right:
  • #2: 50-yard mark, a hand-thrown duck
  • #1: 50-yard mark, a winger-thrown pheasant, with the fall in the shadow of a large tree
  • #3: 120-yard blind, a pheasant marked by lining pole, with a large tree separating the lines to #1 and #3
Lumi ran #1-2 as a double, then ran the blind, lining it. Because Lumi seemed to have trouble remembering the memory mark on a previous double, I lined Lumi up on each station before calling for the first throw. Another trainer pointed out to me that while that would be legal in a Field Trial, it would not be legal in a Hunt Test. Once Lumi has had some success with multiples, I'll need to go back to not lining her up.

Laddie ran #1-2 as singles, then ran the blind, also lining it.

Both dogs ran off-lead and were steady all day.

Series B. Bob set up his water series at the end of the pond, where a triangular point juts out at midpoint along the shoreline that was on our right as we ran our dogs. We used white bumpers for the marks.

Lumi ran a double, consisting of a 60-yard mark to the far side of the point and a 30-yard mark to the near side of the point. She had no problem with the 30-yard mark (the go-bird), but I didn't line her up on the stations before calling for the first throw, and she forgot #1. I called Back at water's edge, then WS and Over when she veered toward the point. She responded correctly, then remembered (or saw) the long mark and swam to it.

To run Laddie on the longer mark while he was fresh, I asked for a long throw well into open water. When sent, Laddie ran to water's edge and popped. I called him back to me and sent him again, and this time he flew into the water and swam to the mark. By then, the dummy had floated too close to the shoreline to the right and Laddie squared the bank and swam to it. I made no effort to stop him, since I did not think it likely I'd be able to and didn't want him to rehearse ignoring my handling cues. Once ashore, Laddie ran along water's edge to the near side of the point, where the terrain became too difficult to continue bank running. There, he had great difficulty re-entering the water, and finally I asked the thrower to throw his dummy in the water. When she did so (calling him a "bad dog"), he swam to it and then delivered it to me. Laddie's second mark was in open water on the near side of the point and he had no difficulty with it, including a 20-yard land segment between the SL and the shoreline that he needed to run across in order to complete his delivery without dropping the dummy.

Series C. I remembered that some time ago, I had good luck working on Laddie's water entries while holding a dummy by getting into the water and throwing dummies for Laddie up onto the shore. At the time, he had no trouble entering the water while carrying the dummy if I was waiting for him in the water.

So today, I waded out a few feet at three locations along the edge of the pond, called Laddie into the water with me, and threw happy dummies several times from each location up onto shore varying distances. Laddie had no difficulty entering the water with the dummy during today's training, either.

I like this approach far better than driving away to get Laddie to return on land-water-land retrieves. Tomorrow, I plan to drive to Cheltenham and use a new channel, which I'll call the wading channel, that Charlie told me was shallow enough for me to stand in but still deep enough for the dogs to swim in. Hopefully I'll be able to start in the water close to the shore I'm throwing to, and gradually back up from one throw to the next until I'm up on the other shore.

It appears that Laddie has some aversion to water, or at least to entering water. If that becomes a permanent part of his make-up, it will ruin his field career. I can only hope that with practice and improved confidence, his aversion to entering water will be replaced with joyful entries.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]