Friday, May 2, 2008

Angle-in, Shore Training

This morning, I went with the dogs to the neighborhood lacrosse field to run a drill focused specifically on the angle-in (Series A), which Lumi has had problems with at times, including at yesterday's Hunt Test training group. While we were training, a man parked next to our van and walked out to introduce himself. The man turned out to be a guy named Nunzio, an event field trainer with Labs and Chessies and a judge for a variety of field events and venues. He had been passing by and was attracted by the sound of our training whistle.

In addition to providing interesting conversation and some training tips, Nunzio was also kind enough to mention that he lives nearby on a five-acre property with a small pond, suitable for training the swim-by as well as land-water-land retrieves. Amazingly, he invited us to train there any time we wished! So in the afternoon, the dogs and I drove to Nunzio's property for a session of shore training (Series B).

Summary:
  • Series A. Angle-in drill (both dogs)
  • Series B. Shore training, Tool #2, Here-LTW-W, Stage 1 (uncued) (both dogs)
Series A. I designed this drill as the first of a sequence intended to strengthen the dogs' comfort level with the angle-in cast. That doesn't seem to be a weakness for Laddie, but it is for Lumi, and I see no disadvantage to giving Laddie additional mileage on it.

For the drill I came up with, I placed two lining poles 50 yards apart. I used one of the poles as the SL, the other to mark a pile of eight white dummies.

I then trained Lumi first, then Laddie, with the other dog waiting in the van each time.

The sequence was as follows:
  1. Straight thru to the pile
  2. Straight thru to the pile
  3. WS, angle-in to the left
  4. Straight thru to the pile
  5. Straight thru to the pile
  6. WS, angle-in to the right
  7. Straight thru to the pile
  8. Straight thru to the pile
  9. WS, angle-in to the left
  10. Straight thru to the pile
  11. Straight thru to the pile
  12. WS, angle-in to the right
I randomized which side I sent the dog from, and for the angle-in casts, I threw an orange dummy while the dog was on the way to the pile, then blew WS before the dog reached the pile.

In addition, to increase the randomization of the sequence, I had Lumi skip #11 and Laddie skip both #8 and #11.

It was clear that the orange dummies were not visible to the dogs until they got close, because neither dog ran straight to any of the dummies. Instead, both came forward in the general direction cued, then veered to the dummy when they got close. Both dogs seemed in high spirits throughout the drill and performed well.

In subsequent sessions, I plan to increase the distance from the SL to the pile by 20 yards per session, so that we repeat this drill at 70-90-110 yards.

Series B.
The dogs and I used Nunzio's pond to work on shore training, Tool #2, Here-LTW-W, Stage 1 (uncued). I ran a few reps with Lumi and Laddie alternating, but it was soon clear that Laddie needed more work than Lumi, and I was happy to rest Lumi anyway since she'll be in a Hunt Test tomorrow.

This was a shaping session with no pre-planned structure. I'd say the most productive thing I tried was when I waded into the water, called Laddie to me, and then repeatedly made happy throws onto the bank and further inland. Laddie had much less difficulty re-entering the water with the dummy while I was standing there in front of him, than when he faced a swim to the opposite shore of the pond.

At the end of the session, I had Laddie make one retrieve all the way across the pond, land-water-land. I decided to end Laddie's retrieves on that note of success.

For reinforcement, I used happy throws for both dogs, plus food for Lumi, clippies for Laddie.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]