Monday, May 19, 2008

Angle-in, Alligator Drill, Blinds

Summary
  • Series A. At Milestone, practiced angle-ins with a 90-yard backline (both dogs)
  • Series B. At Black Hill Regional Park, worked on alligator drill (both dogs)
  • Series C. Back at Milestone, ran a series of blinds to work on concept of a blind placed behind the tree line of adjoining woods (both dogs)
Series A. I used lining poles to set up a 90-yard backline, and placed several white dummies at the far pole. I worked Lumi, then Laddie, on an angle-in drill as follows:
  • I sent Dog to the pile twice.
  • Next time, I threw a soft black dummy at 11 o'clock as Dog was running away, then blew WS and cued angle in.
  • Another time to the pile without stopping.
  • Finally, another throw at 1 o'clock, this time of a pheasant, WS, and angle in.
Both dogs were fine with angle-ins on both sides, but both dogs also had latency, or outright slips, on the whistle sits. I suspect this is because we have been focusing on other things for some time. Also, both dogs have been tending to line the blinds at Hunt Test training, which might make the WS seem less valuable to them. We've continued to practice WS on hikes, but Lumi rarely gets more than 20 yards from me, and Laddie rarely more than 50 yards, so we don't get to practice distances needed for blinds.

Alice has suggested that we begin running some short, difficult blinds to work on the WS. Short so the dog is likely to respond — and then we can begin adding distance — and difficult so that several WSs, if possible, are needed.

Series B. Although Lumi is already able to enter water carrying a dummy or bird, I decided to run the alligator drill I had planned for Laddie on Lumi first, in case I discovered that it was actually more difficult than I thought it would be. If Lumi, who can run land-water-land, wasn't able to run the drill I had planned, I'd know it was too difficult for Laddie.

LUMI

This is what I'll call the "6-oc AG", meaning six o'clock alligator drill:
  • I positioned Lumi in a sit 10 yards inland from the shoreline of the lake. I placed the dummy at 6 o'clock midway between Lumi and the shoreline. I positioned myself 15 yards into the water, which was chest high. The swimline, where either dog would have to stop walking on the lake floor and start to swim, was about halfway between the shoreline and me.
  • I called Here. Lumi came running toward me, picking up the dummy as she got to it, then entering the water and alligatoring past the swimline to get to me. When she arrived, we played a rowdy game of water tug, complete with me growling, for a few seconds. Then I cued Out, she released the dummy, and I threw it a few feet further toward the center of the lake. Lumi swam out to get the dummy and I trudged into shore. When she arrived with the dummy again, I took it and threw it along the shoreline as a happy throw, cueing Shake as she chased it. She shook off, picked up the dummy, and brought it back to me again. We played some more tug and I also threw the dummy for her again.
Lumi seemed fine with the 6-oc AG. Next I tried something else with Lumi. For the next two retrieves, I brought Lumi out into the water with me, then threw the dummy up onto shore. She ran out to retrieve it and brought it back to me, and we played as before.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I was taking a major jump in criteria between those two versions of the drill. Laddie might be ready for the 6-oc AG, but I'd later realize he was far from ready to retrieve a thrown dummy and bring it back into the water.

LADDIE

This was my training sequence with Laddie:
  1. Laddie at shoreline, dummy in shallow water, Daddy 15 yards into water. Daddy calls Here, Laddie picks up the dummy and brings it to Daddy, alligatoring across the swimline.
  2. 6-oc AG. Laddie was so enthusiastic that he leapt into the air with the dummy in his mouth, something he used to do when he was younger but has not done in a long time.
  3. 6-oc AG. Laddie again made a big air entry. It would be the last of the day.
  4. I attempted bringing Laddie into the water and throwing the dummy to shore for Laddie to retrieve, as I had with Lumi. Laddie marooned.
  5. Another 6-oc AG.
  6. I attempted a 12-oc AG, identical to the 6-oc AG except that I placed the dummy behind Laddie. When I called Here, Laddie attempted to come to me without the dummy. When I cued Back, he marooned.
  7. Another 6-oc AG.
  8. I attempted a 9-oc AG. Laddie marooned.
  9. Another 6-oc AG.
  10. A 7-oc AG. Laddie was successful.
  11. An 8-oc AG. Laddie was successful.
  12. Another 9-oc AG. Laddie marooned.
  13. Another 6-oc AG, then more play, and I ended the session.
Series C. Because Lumi has had difficulty in the past when blinds were placed in alcoves inside a treeline of woods adjoining the field, I set up a series to introduce an easy version of that picture, a double blind with both blinds inside an alcove behind the treeline of adjoining woods, but the alcove on mowed lawn and with ample open space. The series was as follows, left to right within a 60° angle:
  • #1: 80-yard blind (bird), the line to the blind straight across a paved walkway and thru a keyhole formed by two trees, in an alcove behind the treeline of the adjoining woods
  • #2: 100-yard blind (bird), the line to the blind thut a keyhole formed by two trees, then diagonally across a different section of the paved walkway, then thru a second keyhole made up of two more trees, into another alcove behind the treeline of the woods
Thus this set-up enabled the dogs to practice several concepts:
  • Keyholes
  • Perpendicular and diagonal road crossings
  • Blind behind treeline
Laddie veered to the right on #1, responded well to a WS and angle-back left, responded well again to a WS and angle-back right, and went straight to the blind to complete the retrieve. He then lined #2.

Lumi lines both #1 and #2.

Both dogs showed high motivation and are hopefully starting to be better prepared for the kinds of challenges in these blinds.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]