Thursday, February 28, 2008

Private Training

Today was again structured with four series, two in the morning, two in the afternoon:
  • Series A. Lumi, triple blind at Layhill Park
  • Series B. Laddie, T-drill at construction site off MD-108, including one duck
  • Series C. Lumi, diversion drill (DD), throw toward line (TTL) from the right
Conditions. Sunny, low 20s, NW winds 13-20 MPH.

Series A. Lumi on triple blind:
  1. 60 yards to edge of a woods
  2. 130 yards to middle of a ballfield, between two trees at halfway point
  3. 170 yards to top of a hill, with a 10-foot diagonal upslope at 80 yards, and obstacles on either side at 120 yards; the obstacles were playground equipment on the left and bleachers on the right
The blinds were run right to left:
  • #2 was 45° to the left of #1
  • #3 was 45° to the left of #2
From having watched many dogs at group training run blinds, to me Lumi seemed to run all of these fairly normally, though not as I expected. That is, while she had no overwhelming problem with any of them, she needed three casts for #1, because she kept being pulled by something to the right, whereas she lined #3 and required no casts on the blind I thought would be most difficult.

The challenge on #2 was that I wanted her to go through the keyhole formed by the two trees, and she tried to go around, first to the left, then to the right. On the right, she actually got past the trees, so I called her back, moved her to the left with an "over", and then cast her straight back. That was the last cast she needed.

Lumi's spirits once again seemed high the entire time.

Series B. This was approximately the same T-drill we ran twice yesterday without a problem, run in the same location. The only changes were as follows:
  • Instead of putting down extra articles, I put down exactly the ones I planned for Laddie to pick up: one at pole 1, three at pole 2, and one at pole 3.
  • Instead of using all white dummies, I substituted a dead pigeon at pole 3.
The sequence was as follows:
  1. Run thru to pole 2.
  2. Stop at P, then spin right and "back" to pole 2.
  3. Stop at P, then "over" to pole 1.
  4. Stop at P, then "over" to pole 3 (the duck at last!).
  5. Run thru to pole 2.
Every retrieve was reinforced with a hey-hey throw of whatever article was retrieved, the dummy retrieves were reinforced with a game of tug, and every retrieve was reinforced with a chunk of fast-food "cheeseburger".

Laddie never slipped a whistle sit. He refused the cast (that is, ran the wrong way) the first time we got to step #2, in that he interpreted my "back" visual cue as an "over". The instant I saw which way he was running, I whistled recall and he veered around and came back to me. Then we re-ran it and he did fine.

I have noticed that Laddie is very fast coming out of his sit when I cue, and I believe that what happened was that he saw my right arm start to move and broke to the right before waiting to see that I was actually lifting it straight up. The rest of the day, I compensated by exaggerating my movements more so that "back" and "over" would be more distinct from one another from the beginning of the movement.

Laddie never even glanced at the bird at pole 3 until I actually sent him to it as step #4. The wind was coming from between poles 1 and 2, so he wasn't being bombarded by pigeon scent. Perhaps he would have been more distracted if the bird had been at pole 1, or perhaps he is becoming better able to focus on where he is sent even with diversions present. Anyway, that's the goal.

After some avoidance behavior on Tuesday afternoon, based on yesterday's and today's sessions, Laddie seems to be loving the T-drill, responding not only with a high degree of accuracy but also with his trademark over-the-top enthusiasm.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]