Sunday, February 17, 2008

Private Training: Distraction-Proofing the Return

Several hours after running with the group training, when we returned home I asked my son Eric to help me with a distraction-proofing drill while it was still light out.

We trained on a nearby ballfield as follows:
  1. I positioned Eric in one area and asked him to play fetch and tug with Lumi while remaining in that spot.
  2. I then took Laddie on lead to a spot about 50 yards away, took off the lead, and began throwing a random sequence of articles: a white dummy, a pigeon, and a duck. As he picked up each article, I whistled recall. I tried rewarding the first few retrieves with food but it didn't seem important to Laddie so I stopped doing it quickly. After each throw, I'd watch Laddie as he was returning with the article. If he came straight back without paying attention to Eric and Lumi, I moved us a step closer to them for the next throw. If he seemed to be drawn to them, I moved us a step further away for the next throw.
  3. Only once did Laddie break away from our game and try to join Eric and Lumi. He returned to me when I called him and didn't attempt it again.
  4. Over time, we got closer and closer to Eric and Lumi, and at last I was throwing the articles over Eric's head and Laddie was swerving around or running between Eric and Lumi to get to the article and then back to me. We did that about ten times and then Laddie and I ran back to the van.
  5. Next, I began throwing pigeons and ducks for Lumi in a fixed location, whistling recall at each pick-up. Meanwhile Eric practiced recall with Josh, his BC, on a long line. Eric would call Josh to him, and when Josh arrived, Eric would throw a treat several feet away. Once Josh got the treat, Eric would call him again.
  6. As when I was training Laddie, Eric moved closer to Lumi and me a step at a time, as long as Josh wasn't glancing at us. I wasn't watching them, but Eric told me later that he thought Josh made good progress.
  7. Although this was intended as a distraction-proofing drill for Josh, it also turned out to be a good retrieval drill for Lumi. When we started, she was returning promptly when I'd throw a duck, but she'd take her time picking up the pigeon. By the end of our session, she was picking the pigeons up quickly, too.
It is my intent to run similar drills every day possible between now and next Sunday's group training. It's my hope that Laddie's returns will be noticeably improved compared to this morning's group session. This may also help to groove Lumi's retrieves and prepare her more quickly for retrieving flyers.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]