Monday, February 11, 2008

Private Training: Bird-foot Drills

This morning it was sunny but bitter cold, which the dogs didn't mind but my hands did. I decided to have a low-exertion day of handling drills based on Alice Woodyard's suggested bird foot configuration.

First I set up a diamond of white and orange dummies, the white dummies 20' from the start line and 12' apart, the orange dummies 40' from the start line on a line between the white dummies. The white dummies were turned sideways for maximum visibility, while the orange dummies were turned endwise for minimum visibility. Lumi ran first, then Laddie. When I sent each dog to the orange dummy, the dog took the correct line and retrieved an orange dummy the first time sent.

Next we had our first session of using the bird foot layout as a casting drill. Per Alice's guidance, I moved the white dummies so that they were 18' apart, I added a fourth orange dummy, and I scattered the orange dummies in a small area rather than lining them up end to end. Again, I ran Lumi first, then Laddie. For each drill, I had the dog sit 40' from the orange dummies with the dog's back to the orange dummies, and I stood 15' in front of the dog. I then repeatedly cast the dog back to the orange dummy pile between the white dummies with a verbal "back" and a right or left arm raised straight in the air. The choice of arm was to tell the dog which way to spin.

LUMI: The first time I spun Lumi to my right, she ran to the white dummy on the right side. I cued "no here" and brought her back to the sitting position, then cast her again. The second and third times I spun her to my right, she spun 180° and retrieved an orange dummy.

The identical sequence happened when I spun her to my left.

LADDIE: The two times I spun Laddie to my right, he spun 180° and retrieved an orange dummy.

The first time I spun him to my left, he spun the correct direction but ran to the white dummy. I was't sure whether he was taking a wide path or actually planning go retrieve the white dummy, so I didn't whistle until he picked it up. I walked to him and took the dummy, lay it back on the ground, and walked him back to his starting position. The same thing happened again. For the third cast with my left arm, I positioned Laddie between the two white dummies. Again he spun the correct direction and this time retrieved an orange dummy. We then reran it from halfway back to his original starting position, and then from the original starting position, and each time he retrieved an orange dummy.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]