Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Private Training: T-drills, Blinds, Diversion Drills

This morning, we had the first of two planned sessions:
  • Series A. Lumi, triple blind
  • Series B. Laddie, T-drill
This afternoon, we added:
  • Series C. Lumi, diversion drill (TTL from the left side)
  • Series D. Laddie, T-drill
The Training Site. For the morning session, I drove to a nearby new homes construction site and found a huge field, at least 300x400 yards, probably larger, with construction equipment and debris in only a few isolated areas and nothing that looked dangerous. The footing was low cover, somewhat irregular but seemingly sound. While it lacked obstacles, hills, or other challenging training features, it seemed like an ideal place for some easy field work.

At first, I was only going to use if for Lumi's triple blind. I was then planning to return to our neighborhood lacrosse field for Laddie's T-drill.

As mentioned in yesterday's blog, Alice had suggested that we run all Laddie's T-drills on the same course, using the same lines of sight for each session. Although I had selected the lacrosse field as our permanent site for Laddie's T-drills, I got to thinking that he had quite a bit of trouble with the drill we ran there yesterday afternoon, and I thought that part of the problem might have been the location. Therefore I decided to set up a T-drill at the construction site and see how Laddie would do there. We won't be able to use it forever, since they'll eventually build homes there, but it might be available in its present condition for several weeks, long enough for us to complete Laddie's current stage of T-drill training.

Conditions. Temps in the mid-30s, westerly winds 15-30 MPH, overcast. The wind was thrilling, full of life and excitement. I felt it, and knew that both my dogs felt it, too.

Series A. Lumi's triple blind:
  1. 100 yards
  2. 170 yards, at a 45° angle to the right of #1
  3. 250 yards, at a 30° angle to the right of #2
Because the field was almost featureless, and because the orange lining poles and dummies were nearly invisible even to me and probably more so to Lumi at those distances, Lumi required more casts than she would if she had spotted a tree, lining pole, or other feature to run toward, or if she had been able to follow the scent of other dogs who had run the same blinds before her.

Lumi was responsive on all whistle sits (WSs) and casts and had little difficulty with the blinds. Although this drill presented little challenge, hopefully some learning took place about angles and distances Lumi might someday face in competition. In addition, it was a good opportunity for Lumi to see my handling as the entire source of information about how to find the blind, rather than being able to take advantage of sight or scent clues.

Series B. Laddie's T-drill:
  • Four poles, each placed 40 yards from "pitcher's mound" P, which was unmarked.
  • The poles were:
    • SL (start line)
    • Pole 1 ("first base")
    • Pole 2 ("second base")
    • Pole 3 ("third base")
With Laddie's motivational issue yesterday uppermost in my mind, I wanted him not too tired, but also not to full of energy for the drill. So after I planned the course and placed the poles, I got him out of the van to run around while I carried a bundle of white dummies back out to the course for placement.

Laddie took off over the small ridge between the van and the field, and by the time I cleared the ridge, I saw him 100 yards out racing around the "bases", visiting each pole as he often likes to do when first brought out to a training location.

Next, he took off for the outer edges of the fields, burning off energy and airing as needed.

At last, although I hadn't called him, he came racing happily back to me. I tossed him a chunk of food to reinforce the auto-recall, slipped on his lead, and together we rounded the course and placed the dummies. Finally we walked to center point P and then to SL, so that the backline would be the freshest scent.

I placed a total of ten dummies, two at #1 and #3 and six at #2. Then we started, and Laddie was doing so wonderfully that I decided I wouldn't have Laddie retrieve all of them, for several reasons:
  • I wanted the whole session to remain high quality and didn't want to press my luck that Laddie could sustain that performance level for that long.
  • As a boon to motivation for future sessions, I wanted to put him away wanting more.
  • I wondered if possibly ten is too many retrieves for Laddie's motivational level for this particular drill at this particular time in Laddie's development.
Instead of retrieving all ten, Laddie retrieved a total of six:
  • Two to #2 with no whistle
  • One each to P with a WS, then an "over" to #1 and #3
  • Two to P with a WS, followed by a spin once to the left, once to the right, and a "back" to #2
These were run in a random sequence, and as always on blinds and pile work, I also sent Laddie randomly from left and right heel. I used no verbal cues for any of the casts (perhaps I should have, to help Laddie rehearse their meaning), but I did use an auto recall whistle at each pick-up.

In order to improve Laddie's odds for success, I used a long whistle rather than my preferred short tweet for the WSs. Aside from that, no other compensations, such as moving up or pinned dummies, were needed.

With an eye toward creating the most positive possible association with Laddie's WSs, I had Laddie run straight to me with each dummy rather than taking the time to swing to heel and sit. As he arrived and pushed the dummy into my outstretched hands, I grabbed it and threw it for him once or twice, then played some tug complete with growling, and finally tossed him a chunk of food as I took the dummy and tossed it behind the SL pole while moving with Laddie into position for the next send-out.

The results of this morning's T-drill: Laddie never exhibited a hint of the veering, stopping, sniffing, grass-chewing behaviors I characterized as possible avoidance in yesterday's sessions. Laddie's performance today was flawless — never slipping a whistle nor refusing a cast — and spectacular in its exuberance, both his after-burner running and his spinning, hyper-alert whistle sits.

Series C. Returning to a different area of the same field, we ran the toward-the-line (TTL) diversion drill (DD) described in previous blog entries, with a couple of minor differences:
  1. For the first send-out, I left Lumi at the start line, walked the 80 yards to the pile of dummies, picked one up and tossed a little way in the air, letting it fall back into the pile, then walked back and lined Lumi up. I cued "dead bird" to put her focus on the pile, then put my hand over forehead and sent her with "back". Even though Nate was sitting in his chair to the right of backline, Lumi ran straight to the pile, picked up a dummy, and ran back with it. So that way of getting Lumi off on the right foot seemed to be effective.
  2. Instead of having Nate throw from three positions, each marked retrieve followed by a send to the pile, I only had him throw from two positions: 35 yards and 60 yards from the start line. That meant a total of only five short retrieves. The hope is that as Lumi learns that she won't be getting much work in each session, it will increase her motivation and hopefully encourage a top level of performance.
In today's DD drill, like the one two days ago but not the one yesterday, Lumi never veered on any of the sends to the pile, so we never needed a sit whistle. Her performance was enthusiastic and fun-loving at all times, and she seemed eager for more work as I took her back to the van. Hopefully that hunger for more will carry forward into tomorrow's and future sessions.

Series D. My description of Series B is also an almost exact description of how Series D went, with these minor differences:
  • The afternoon was sunnier than the morning, but also colder, bitingly so. It didn't bother the dogs, but I had to bundle up more.
  • It turns out that the new permanent T-drill course I laid out has the dog and handler at the start line facing the sun in the late afternoon. Luckily, it didn't seem to affect Laddie's performance adversely.
  • After the first two long sit whistles, I felt confident enough in Laddie's WS that I tried a short tweet on the next rep. Laddie responded instantly to it and I used short whistles the remainder of the session.
Once again, Laddie responded correctly and enthusiastically to every cue, performing with irrepressible joy.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]