Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Private Training

Today, we continued working solo on the alternation drill with Laddie. Lumi did so well with the alternation drill yesterday that I had her rest in the van while Laddie ran, and then brought her out just to run a cold blind.

I could hardly believe how well both dogs did. I noticed that we were working in a drizzle today, and I think that may inescapably give birth to a new superstition on my part. From now on when we're training, I just know that at some level, I'm going to be hoping for rain.

Details of the session follow.

LADDIE

Laddie ran four series of four marks each, that is, four poorman quads. He ran with his usual all out speed and exuberance the entire day.

At the end of each series, I threw a happy dummy for him a couple of times and then we played some tug. Finally I set him up to wait at the start line while I went out to throw/place articles for the next series, and gave him a chunk of fast food "cheeseburger" as he went into his sit.

Series A
  1. 33 yards, B&W canvas dummy with streamers, thrown after a gunshot and with a high, exciting arc
  2. 33 yards, dead pigeon with dried blood on the feathers, dropped quietly in place
  3. 33 yards, B&W canvas dummy with streamers, dropped quietly in place
  4. 33 yards, dead pigeon dropped quietly in place
The marks were separated by 30° angles, right to left, and were run in the reverse order, #4 first, #1 last.

For this series, I ran Laddie on a 100' line. I auto-whistled as soon as he picked up each article. He responded instantly to every whistle, and brought every article straight back. The long line was entirely irrelevant, and I didn't use it again the rest of the day.

Series B

Same as Series A, except #1 was thrown 60 yards from the start line.

Laddie ran #4 (a bird) fine. On #3 (a dummy), he started on the correct line but then started to swerve toward #2 (the other bird). I whistled recall (no voice) and he spun around and came back to heel.

We repeated that sequence six (!) times. Every time, Laddie responded instantly to the whistle. Finally, on the seventh try, he took the original line all the way to the dummy, picked it up, and came straight back with it. Of course, I cheered enthusiastically, and as soon as he swung to heel and sat down, I quickly took the dummy, placed my hand over his forehead, and released him to the bird at #2 with his name.

On #1, Laddie ran straight to the dummy but then ran past it and started to hunt. I called "give it", and he then immediately picked up the dummy and raced back with it.

Series C

Same as Series B, except #1 was 90 yards and I used ducks instead of pigeons at #2 and #4.

Performance was almost identical to Series B with one major exception. Laddie only tried to swerve from #3 to #2 a single time. The next time I sent him to #3, he took the line, ran to the dummy, and brought it right back. As in Series B, I quickly sent him on to #2.

Series D

Same as Series C, with the following exceptions:
  • I went back to pigeons again.
  • #1 was 120 yards from the start line.
  • The angle between #1 and #2 was only about 10°.
Laddie took every line correctly on the first try this time, and picked up every article on the run as soon as he reached them. This series was essentially flawless.

After the last series, I threw a dummy for Laddie a couple of times and we played some tug, then we ran together to the van and I gave him the last of his cheeseburger as we ran. I also threw his dummy some more and played tug some more as we ran. It was a joyous time for both of us.

The delta between yesterday's last series and today's first was startling, and the improvement during today's training only increased that delta. The alternation drill appears to be an effective antidote to the problems Laddie has been displaying lately.

LUMI

Series A

170 yard cold blind, orange dummy, no pole

The dummy was at the base of a tree and faintly visible to me from the start line.

Lumi's run went as follows:
  • Lumi tried to pop at 30 yards. I just continued to look at her without moving, and after about five seconds, she resumed the line she'd been sent on.
  • Twice, Lumi drifted to the right toward the bird falls from Laddie's training. Each time, she responded instantly to both my whistle sit and my angle back cast, both times taking the correct line from her new position. I didn't use my voice for handling at all.
  • Fifty yards from the dummy, she caught sight of it and suddenly sped up and ran to it, picking it up without hesitation. I then whistled recall, but she had already turned for home. The whistle wasn't necessary, but my using it may have served to reinforce Lumi's association between the cue and the correct response.
  • Lumi did not run flat out in either direction except when she caught sight of the dummy, but she cantered nicely, with a sweet and cheerful demeanor, the entire time.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]