Sunday, January 13, 2008

Laddie Group Training

Series A: 230 yard cold blind, thru lots of strips of high cover.

Series B: Three singles:
  1. 120 yards (flyer pigeon): After the bird was shot, I walked the dog from the start line to 100' from the fall and released the dog on a 100' line, holding the other end
  2. 50 yards (dead duck)
  3. 200 yards (dead pheasant)
Configuration — indent:
  • #2 thrown 30° to the right of #1
  • #3 thrown 30° to the right of #2
#3 was obscured by a mound near the line. The advanced dogs were to run over a piece of the mound on the way out and back, whereas we moved to the side so the dog could run next to the mound. #3 also had woods to the right of the fall.

Series C: A double:
  1. 160 yards (dead pheasant)
  2. 110 yards (dead duck)
Configuration:
  • #2 thrown 30° to the left of #1
Series D: Same course as Series C, guns removed. Blind, 170 yards, 10° to left of mark #2 from Series C. Trees and water along left, line to blind thru several strips of high cover.

General: Marks thrown as in Field Trials

Terrain: clumpy grass with strips of high grass

Sunny early, later overcast, wind 7 MPH, 42°F

Location: Rover's Content, Cheltenham, MD

Notes: We arrived early and the dogs aired together. Then, per Alice Woodyard's suggestion, I ran Laddie (not Lumi) on some solo blinds, hopefully expending enough energy to make it less likely that he get the zoomies later:
  1. Pinball drill, 150 yards, no dummy
  2. Cold blind, 150 yards, 30° to the right of the pinball course
  3. Repeat of pinball drill
This may have helped, because Laddie didn't attempt any full-course circuits during the group training as he has in previous week.

On Series A, Laddie found dummy fairly easily, but was not responsive to several whistle sits on the way to it. We need to work extensively on that.

On Series B mark #1, Laddie stalled at the fall, possibly chewing the bird. At the instant I tugged on the long line, he picked up the bird and ran all the way back, catching me as I ran back ahead of him. When he caught up, we got tangled up in the long line so I had to take the bird as part of getting untangled. I noticed it was still alive. On #2, I forgot the slip cord and Laddie broke. He pinned the mark but stalled 30 yards out on the return. I ran out, took the bird, and walked him back to the start line. On #3, he tried to break. As he ran out, I ran behind him, but of course he's much faster than I. When he had the bird, I used an auto-whistle (that is, I didn't wait to see whether he'd stall). Laddie came running back, caught me as I ran back ahead of him, and we ran back together.

On Series C, Laddie was not steady on either mark nor honoring. He needed help from the thrower on #1, but brought back the bird on an auto-whistle, which I think was necessary, at least to help him get turned the right direction. He pinned #2, hesitated at the fall, did not respond to whistle, but did respond to "here", so I didn't run out to him.

Laddie ran the Series D blind beautifully, lining it and racing the entire way both directions.

I was pleased that after being walked back after stalling on #2 of Series B, Laddie did not stall on #3 of that series, and responded to whistle or "here" on both marks of Series C.

But I am concerned that this far into Laddie's career he's still having trouble bringing back birds. On the other hand, I also see progress. Now that we're training with a Field Trial group, we're running marks that are generally much longer than our previous group training with a Hunt Test group. Unlike our solo training, these group series are run thru many strips of high cover, along with other factors like rolling terrain and trees. The birds, especially the flyers, are of course more exciting than the dummies we solo train with.

Given these challenges, Laddie is still doing better every week than the week before, so the trend is in the right direction. In addition, while he continues to attempt to rehearse incorrect responses (stalls), I have been improving my arsenal of tactics for dealing with them — today, a long line for the flyer and running out to him and walking him back when he stalled with the dead bird.

I am trying to remain optimistic. Yet I dread the possibility that this is good as Laddie's going to get, and that he never will become reliable bringing back birds.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]