Saturday, January 26, 2008

Private Training

Today, Eric and Dave brought their dogs -- Josh, Athena, and Sophia -- to a nearby ballfield with Lumi, Laddie, and me. After about 15 minutes of all five dogs playing in the field while I was setting up a series, I ran Lumi, and then Laddie with Lumi honoring, on two singles and a blind each:

  1. 100 yards (thrown by Dave)
  2. 170 yards (thrown by Eric)
Blind: 140 yards, under a tree with no lining pole, orange dummy

After Laddie ran, I also ran Lumi on #2 again.

Configuration:
  • #2 was 30° to the right of #1
  • #3 was 45° to the left of #1
Each single was set up and run the same way:
  • The thrower stood at a pole to throw the mark.
  • A plastic bag, open at the top and containing a duck, sat next to the thrower.
  • A landing area for the dummy was marked with a surveyor's flag.
  • The landing area was scented by throwing a dead duck onto the area repeatedly.
  • The thrower fired a starter pistol, then threw a black & white canvas dummy with streamers.
  • Auto-whistle: I blew a recall whistle every time the dog picked up the dummy, without waiting to see whether the dog would come without the whistle.
The dogs ran without slip cords, and both dogs were steady on all marks.

I gave each dog a chunk of fast-food burger after each delivery.

Conditions: Sunny, 28°, no wind. Short grass.

Notes on Lumi's Series: Lumi ran #1 without any problem. On #2, for some reason, she ran a few steps and then stopped. I called her back and sent her again, and she did the same thing. So I whistled a sit, cast her back, and then she completed the retrieve well.

On the blind, she handled well for every sit and cast.

Lumi sat alone quietly and without any apparent unhappiness while Laddie ran his series. I tossed her a bite of food a few seconds after Laddie left the start line on each single.

When we ran mark #2 again after Laddie had run, we had to start it twice. The first time, I tried having Laddie honor but he broke, and when I called "here", Lumi came back but Laddie didn't. I called to Eric to pick up the dummy, and soon Laddie returned. I put him on lead and held him on one side of me while I ran Lumi again from the other side.

On that last mark, Lumi was so quick to return with the dummy after picking it up that I didn't need to whistle. I just cheered as she came running back.

Notes on Laddie's series: Laddie ran both marks with great enthusiasm and no difficulty, including no parading on the return.

Laddie only responded to about 50% of my whistle sits on the blind.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]