Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Adventure Drill in the Marsh

North Needwood Creek

The creek we've been training at the last couple of days runs from north of Needwood Road, and today the dogs and I explored that section of the creek. Following a rough trail that runs parallel to the creek, we ran half a dozen LWL retrieves, never seeing another person the entire hour and a half we were out there.

For each retrieve, I left the dogs in a sit/stay near the trail, made my way to the edge of the creek, threw two old ducks as far as I could over the creek onto the opposite shore, returned to the dogs, and sent first Laddie, then Lumi, to pick the birds up.

Today's retrieves at distances of 90-130 yards were longer than any I've seen in a Hunt Test. In addition, as in all our Adventure Drill sessions, the lines to each retrieve were thru terrain more difficult than any I've seen in a test, including unexpected drop-offs, thick underbrush, standing trees and shubs, downed trees and logs, mud, pools of running-depth water, steep embankments on one or both sides, and a swim of 15-25 yards across the stream's current.

Though I had my whistle around my neck, I used no whistle or verbal cueing except for the dog's name on the send-outs. Both dogs did well the entire session, exhibiting excitement and resolve on each send-out and return.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]