Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pick-up Speed Drills

Sundown Road Park

Today, Lumi, Laddie, and I went out with Nate primarily to work on pick-up speed, also with an eye on steadiness.

Temps were in the 50s, winds were high and gusty.

Nate threw singles right to left, using a duck call and pistol. I stood with one dog on each side of me, sometimes holding their tabs, sometimes dropping the tab during the throw, sometimes dropping it after the throw, sometimes not holding the tab at all. My intent was to neutralize the tab as a stimulus, habituating the dogs to the sensation so that they would not notice whether I was holding their tabs or not, not even be aware whether they were wearing tabs. Neither dog attempted a break.

Each dog got one retrieve at each of four distances: 30, 60, 90, and 120 yards. If the dog had a slow pick-up, I called "no, sit" while running out to pick the dog up, leaving the bird behind. In today's drill, we had only one slow pick-up, Lumi at 90 yards. In that case, I picked Lumi up, ran Laddie at the same distance, then ran Lumi again. The second time she did great.

The two retrieves at 120 yards were fabulous. Both dogs had racing outruns, running pick-ups, running all the way back, and excited, confident deliveries. I think the wind added some excitement to today's training for them.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]