Thursday, February 19, 2009

Honoring with Remote Launchers, Pick-up Speed Drills

AM: Zion Road

Today we had no precipitation other than a few flakes of snow at odd moments, but we had cold gusty winds and temps near freezing.

For today's earlier session with just the dogs and me at the field near Zion Road, we ran pick-up speed drills with two piles of birds, three birds of one species in one pile, three of a different species in another pile. As each dog ran, the other dog waited in the van. I sent the dogs randomly to one or the other of the piles until all the birds had been picked up.

We ran similar series in two locations, the first time with both piles at 20 yards, the second time with both piles at 40 yards.

Both dogs did well, neither one dawdled nor shopped on any send-out.

PM: Riggs Road


At the large, featureless field near Riggs Road for the afternoon session, Nate and I worked on basic skills with Nate as the handler, and the dogs also had some event-style honoring practice.

SERIES A. Honoring practice with remote launchers

For Series A, I set out two RLs at 70 and 50 yards, using weighted streamers and pre-positioned ducks. We ran this series with Nate handling each dog on the marks, and me handling the honoring dog. The procedure was as follows:
  1. With Lumi in the van and me behind the van holding the RL transmitter, Nate set-up Laddie to run and signalled me for the "throws". I fired the 70-yard RL, then the 50-yard RL. Nate sent Laddie to the 50-yard mark, called Here, took delivery from a sit, and gave Laddie a treat. Then Nate sent Laddie to the 70-yard mark, called Here, took delivery from a sit, and gave Laddie another treat.
  2. I came out, picked the birds up from the ground, and brought them out to position them for the next series, at the same time reloading the RLs with the weighted streamers. Then I returned to the SL, called Laddie to me, and had him sit five yards to the left of the SL. I stood at his right flank facing mostly away from the field and cued, "Just watch", our honoring cue.
  3. Nate brought Lumi out of the van, set her up to run the series, and signalled me again for the "throws". I again fired the 70-yard RL, then the 50-yard RL. Nate sent Lumi to the 50-yard mark, and when she was halfway there, I called Here quietly but enthusiastically to Laddie and together we ran to the trunk of the van, where I grabbed a 2" white dummy and Laddie and I played high-energy fetch and tug games for several moments. Meanwhile, Nate continued to run Lumi on the series as he had run Laddie earlier.
  4. As Lumi was completing her second mark, I put Laddie in the van. When Lumi had delivered the second bird and gotten her second treat, I came out to reload the RLs as I had when Laddie was waiting earlier.
  5. We continued in that way, with each dog running, honoring, and playing until each dog had run the series three times.
Both of the dogs are getting increasingly accustomed to bringing the bird back to Nate instead of trying to bring it to me, and also getting increasingly accustomed to running marks for Nate. Laddie is further along in both of those skills than Lumi, but both are getting there.

Our primary interest in having Nate run the dogs is to give the other dog an opportunity to practice event-style honoring. As in previous sessions, both dogs seemed to enjoy the honoring and play sequence tremendously, and as in previous sessions, neither dog seemed at all interested in breaking from the honor position, even with the added excitement of the RLs. Though the dogs were wearing their tabs (9" cords attached to their flat collars), I didn't hold the tabs as the dogs honored because it was clearly unnecessary.

SERIES B. Pick-up speed drills (Laddie, then Lumi)

Because each dog had at least one slow pick-up during Series A, I thought it would be good to have a pick-up speed drill with Nate handling. With one dog in the van, Nate and I worked with the other dog as follows:
  1. I placed a pile of eight ducks near an LP.
  2. With me carrying the empty bird sack, Nate ran the dog from 10 yards. The rule was that if the dog dawdled or shopped, Nate was to call "no, sit" and run to the dog. If the dog had picked up a bird by then, he was to take it gently away and throw it back with the others. Then he was to walk the dog back to where I was waiting and send the dog again.
  3. Once the dog had a successful retrieve at 10 yards, we walked further from the pile and repeated the send-out at 20 yards.
  4. We continued in this way until the dog had run six good-quality retrieves for Nate, the last one from 60 yards.
We ran Series B with Laddie first, then Lumi. Both dogs did quite well, needing only one or two pick-ups.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]