Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pick-up Speed Drills

Oaks Area 2

Today, I decided to focus entirely on pick-up speed for ducks with both dogs.

I set up four RLs next to a tree, and a pile (small grouping) of four ducks where the weighted streamer would fall.

With one dog in the van, I ran the other dog to all four marks. If the dog dawdled over a bird or did any shopping (putting one bird down to switch to another), I called "no, sit" and ran pick the dog up, leaving the bird behind, and re-sent the dog without another launch from the RLs.

We started at 20 yards. Lumi had one slow pick-up at that distance, resulting in me picking her up, so Lumi also ran her second series at 20 yards.

Laddie had one excellent series at 20 yards, so I ran him at 30 yards the next time. On the second series, he shopped once, resulting in me picking him up.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]