Friday, February 13, 2009

Pick-up Speed Drills, Blinds

Riggs Road

SERIES A. Pick-up speed drill

Using RLs, weighted streamers, and pre-positioned ducks, and with me blowing a duck call for each mark, Lumi and Laddie both ran singles at 20, 40, 50, and 60 yards. My focus was on fast pick-ups with no dawdling or shopping.

SERIES B. Land blind

Each dog ran a 350-yard blind in open meadow. The blind was an OD marked with an LP.

SERIES C. Pick-up speed drill

I set up a pile (small grouping) of three ducks. With Lumi and Laddie standing on either side of me, I blew a duck call, then sent one dog to retrieve a duck from the pile. I then blew the duck call again and sent the other dog. My focus was on pick-up speed, with no dawdling or shopping. After each set of two retrieves, I changed the location and distance. We ran this drill at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]