Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Retrieve Shaping

Because Lumi seems to be having some physical discomfort, because she went OOC during a land blind in yesterday's training with Bob Hux's Hunt Test group, and because she broke on one of our attempts to honor a flyer in the same session, I've decided to skip the Senior test I had her signed up for next Sunday. As a result, our competition season is now over for both dogs, so I plan to take a more easy-going approach to our training for the next few weeks.

That is, rather than trying to strengthen a critical skill in an intense series of sessions, I plan to work on building motivation and refining various details of the retrieve as issues come up from day to day. In addition, when opportunities present themselves, we'll train with groups and work on steadiness, honoring, and other skills that we can't work on when training by ourselves.

This morning, we trained at the neighborhood lacrosse field, as follows:
  • While the dogs played together, I placed an LP as an SL and then walked out 50 yards to place two ducks as one "blind", and 100 yards to place two other ducks as a second, a 30° angle between them.
  • With no whistle, I ran Lumi, then Laddie, to the short blind, then the long one, watching for things I might want to see each dog do better.
  • Lumi seemed motivated but slow, not limping but taking her time. Her retrieves were solid except that she did some shopping at both blinds. Because she had run first, she had a choice of two ducks each time.
  • Laddie raced with his usual exuberance and had great, tumbling pick-ups and excellent returns. On his deliveries, he didn't come close to dropping either bird, but he did loosen his grip a little on each bird as I reached for it, rather than holding tight till I cued Out.
  • I put Laddie in the van and played for awhile with Lumi. For Lumi's game, I thought we'd work on her shopping and her pick-ups. I repeatedly placed the two ducks near one another about 15 yards from our SL, then quickly sent Lumi on her name. The first rep, she started shopping, and as soon as she put down the first bird she'd selected with the idea of switching to the other one, I called "nope" and ran to her, then cued "leave it" and led her away from the birds with a hand target. We then ran back to the SL, spun around, and I sent her again. This time she picked one of the birds right up and came straight back with it. I sent her to get the second bird, and she dawdled a bit picking it up so I again terminated the rep as described above. When I re-sent her, she picked the second bird and instantly came back with it. We did a total of half a dozen reps, great fun for Lumi with lots of action, slowed down only when she dawdled, and by the end, she was picking both birds up and returning without hesitation. That's the progress I was hoping for, but I realize that she's likely to revert to her old form the next time. We'll just keep working on it until a day comes when we don't have to worry about shopping or dawdling pick-ups any more.
  • Next I put Lumi in the van and took Laddie out. Just once I ran the same drill with him that I'd run with Lumi, but he had no problem shopping or dawdling, so I decided to work on his Hold instead. I put away the ducks and brought out a 2" dummy and we began a game that went like this: I throw the dummy and send Laddie. He races to it, picks it up, and brings it to me. As he approaches, instead of swinging him to heel, I reach out with both hands to grasp either end of the dummy, which he positions between my hands. I cue Sit, then Hold, and start to lift the dummy, carrying Laddie up with it. If Laddie lets go, I drop the dummy on the ground and he picks it back up and puts between my hands again. If he gets out of his sit, I do the same thing. But if he stays in his sit and lets me stretch him upward, then I cheerfully cue Out, he instantly releases, and I send the dummy flying again. This is an exciting game for Laddie, not only because of the chase but also because of the "battle" for the dummy. It may be my imagination, but he also seems to thirst for rules that he can absorb. Learning exactly what he needs to do to earn Out and another throw seems to add to his pleasure in the game. After a dozen or so short, high energy reps, I threw the dummy in the trunk, Laddie jumped up into the shotgun seat, and we headed for home. When he's solid on this game, I'll have him swing to heel instead of sitting in front of me. Hopefully, I'll see that solid Hold transfer to the way he holds birds as well. We started this game yesterday and even today I saw some improvement.
In the evening, we went to another neighborhood ball field. It was too dark for any distance, but again we worked on shaping both dogs' retrieves. Using two ducks and a short backline between two lining poles, I ran the dogs as follows:
  • With both dogs in sit/stay at the SL, I strode to the other LP and tossed down both ducks.
  • I strode back, put my hand over the head of one of the dogs, and called the dog's name.
  • If the dog started to shop or dawdle, I called Nope while going to draw the dog away from the ducks and back to the SL, then sent that dog again.
  • Then I sent the other dog to pick up the second duck.
  • After putting the ducks back, I sent the same dog who had picked up the last duck.
This sequence repeatedly tested each dog for shopping as well as for picking up a lone duck without dawdling, and rewarded 50% of the high-quality retrieves with an immediate next retrieve.

After we'd done several reps, I let Lumi into the van and worked on Laddie's hold at delivery with the 2" dummy and games of sitting tug. I'd already noticed that his holds on the ducks seemed firmer than ever in the earlier part of the session, and felt that we should continue the game with the dummy to see if the improvement with ducks also continued. At the minimum, his hold on delivering dummies is improving, and he seems to love the game, so I think it adds to his positive associations for going out to train.

Not that that was lacking, mind you.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]