Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Purpose-bred Hunting Dogs

My van was broken into a couple of nights ago, and when the thieves took my toolbox, they also took some key dog training equipment, such as my whistles and remote-launcher transmitter.

After coming out of shock, I've ordered replacement equipment that might arrive as early as today, but as of this morning, our training options were limited, as was my time before work for that matter.

So instead of our usual morning field work, I decided to go for a two-mile jog at a nearby woodland trail, taking Lumi and Laddie along as my running mates.

I always forget how much Goldens like the cold weather. With temps in the teens, I was bundled up, but L&L, wearing nothing but their fur coats, were in their element. If you'd didn't know that Lumi was bred for hunting and Laddie for field competition, you'd swear that these dogs were always meant to be hiking companions. Up and down the trails they ran, even taking brief swims in the frigid creek that runs along the trail. Away they'd dash on some doggie mission, I'd call Here, and watch as the two of them spun around on a dime and raced back in formation, like a Blue Angels air show.

I just thought I'd write a post to the blog and share this observation, which many readers of course already know: If you can't train that day, a morning jog in the woods with your dogs makes a doggone nice second choice.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]