Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hunt Test Training, Blinds

Cheltenham

In Bob Hux's last Tuesday HT group for the year, he set up two land series, including a blind in each for Lumi and Laddie, the only dogs in the group running blinds this week. All marks and blinds were ducks. Afterwards, I set up some additional series for my dogs.

SERIES A. Two Singles and a Blind (both dogs)

SERIES B. Two Singles and a Blind (both dogs)

SERIES C. Triple Blind, 100-200-210 yards (concept: blind inside a stand of trees) (both dogs)

SERIES D. Offline Drill, 80-yard Segments (Laddie only)

SERIES E. Single Blind, 210 years (Laddie only)


NOTES
  • In Series A, the line to the 100-yard blind ran five yards to the left of a mound that was about 50 yards from the SL. I thought I had the dogs lined up to the left of the mound, but both of them veered slightly right, ran over the center of the mound, and then veered left to line the blind. I don't know if that's good or bad but it made me smile. Especially Laddie, who kind of flew over the mound and caught big air as he cleared the top, like a squad car in a San Francisco movie car chase, his back legs flying up behind him.
  • Series C, a triple blind with ODs at 100-200-210 yards, was run from a mound with every line thru strips of high cover and every blind in a small stand of trees on the fringe of the field in various directions. It was sufficiently difficult that Lumi required handling on every series, at least when she got near the stands of trees — we haven't practiced that picture often — and she remained responsive on every WSC even at 200 yards.
  • On the other hand, Laddie repeatedly slipped whistles on Series C, and calling him back in wasn't fixing it. I finally put him on lead and walked him to each blind, picked up the OD, and carried them back to the van myself as he trotted along beside me. I was a bit surprised at his poor behavior, but later I remembered that he wouldn't touch his dinner last night, which in the past occurred when the BC downstairs was in heat. As I recall, another symptom at the time was that his brain stopped working. Maybe we have a bitch in heat in the neighborhood, maybe even that BC again.
  • Be that as it may, I then set up Series D, a difficult offline drill with 70-yard segments. Laddie retrieved both offline blinds (ODs) with the minimum one WSC, and of course picked up the non-handling 210-yard duck lickety-split.
  • Then I set up Series E, one last blind just for Laddie: a 220-yarder on the same field as our most recent videos (to view them, click here and see the videos for Series D), thru a fairly narrow keyhole at 100 yards, and past a shrubby conifer at 200 yards, a few yards to the right of the line to the blind with wrap potential. Laddie handled fine on this one, a good way to end his day's work.
  • I think in the future when I have the time, I should give Laddie an offline drill as a warm-up before running him on blinds for awhile.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]