Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hunt Test Training, Blinds

Cheltenham

Today was our regular Tuesday session with Bob Hux's Hunt Test group, a rather large group today.

SERIES A.
Bob Hux's first land series. Both of my dogs ran it as three singles including a flyer, a blind, and honoring the next dog. In both cases, the next dog started by running a single with a dead bird, so neither of my dogs honored a flyer today.

Lumi ran first, and I requested three singles with no duck calls, two dead birds and then the flyer. Lumi pinned the first two marks, and then I decided to run a walk up for the flyer, instead of a mark with no duck call. I tried to call out instructions to the gunner at the flyer station, but apparently he didn't understand what I was saying. Our "judge" blew duck calls repeatedly as I brought Lumi out of the holding blind and walked toward the gunner, and then she'd pause but the gunner wouldn't do anything. Lumi and I kept walking, the "judge" kept trying duck calls and pausing, but the gunner just kept staring at us. Finally, I cued Sit and the "judge" called out for the mark. Then the gunner just released the duck and shot it without blowing a duck call first.

Lumi hesitating a few moments, but broke before the "judge" called "dog", and didn't respond to Here. I decided not to chase her down, because the procedure was so weird that I didn't really know what to do.

I had Lumi honor off-lead from a down, using our "Ready to play?" cue. She was on high alert, made no effort to break on the other dog's mark, and burst from her down when I called Here, whereupon we ran together to the van for an exciting series of happy throws with a duck. I gave her a chunk of chicken as we ran, though I think the happy throws were far more valuable.

When I ran Laddie, I ran him off-lead for the two dead-bird singles, then with a slip cord for the flyer. He made a slight attempt to break for the flyer, I don't know what would have happened without the lead. He might have just crept, he might have had a controlled break, or he might have completed his break.

He was steady honoring from a sit, and like Lumi, savored the happy throws back at the van.

Both dogs lined the blind (ducks) on Series A, the only dogs of the six that ran the blind to do so. The blind was 100 yards into the sun, on a line that passed within five yards of a mound 20 yards in front of the blind. Most of the dogs tried to go around the mound on the wrong side, but for some reasons my dogs held their line and ran straight to the blind.

SERIES B. Bob's second land series (water is too cold for any more water work this season). My dogs both ran this as a triple (no flyer) with a blind, and honoring the next dog. Lumi honored a triple off-lead from a down, while Laddie honored a single on-lead from a sit. Neither dog attempted to break on any of their marks nor on the honor.

On the blind, Lumi took a lot of WSCs but did not slip a whistle, and so I didn't pick her up nor call her back at all. Laddie slipped whistles on his first two send-outs and I called him back immediately each time. After that he handled well on the third send-out.

SERIES C. After the group training was over, I set up a triple land blind, 50-70-110 yards. Since the fields at Cheltenham are much more challenging than those we usually trained on, and since neither dog did too well on last Saturday's blinds on this property, I tried for an easier set-up, one that would require a few WSCs that the dogs would be successful at and learn from. These blinds all ran thru several diagonal strips of high cover. In addition, we ran from a mulch mound, and the lines to all the blinds were down hill on various diagonal slopes. Distractions included the large pond that was 100 yards further beyond the blinds, a number of members from the group milling around, and vehicles moving on the road between the blinds and the pond.

Laddie needed one call-back for a slipped whistle on the first send-out, then handled well after that. He lined the 70-yarder.

Lumi had no slipped whistles and took casts fairly accurately, after lining the first blind.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]