Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hunt Test Training

On Tuesdays these days, we train with Bob Hux's Hunt Test group at Cheltenham. Today after an overnight freeze, Bob set up two land series, postponing water work for warmer weather.

Series A. Though not particularly long, Bob's first series included a variety of challenging factors. The set-up was as follows:
  1. 80-yard mark (duck flyer), the line thru marshy wetland and several goose decoys
  2. 80-yard mark (duck thrown by winger), the line down a steep, tangled embankman, thru a muddy ditch, diagonally across a dirt road, and finally thru a strip of high cover and another group of goose decoys
  3. 100-yard blind (duck), the line diagonally across a road, between two trees, diagonally across a deep wide ditch filled with stagnant water, past a mound on the right, and finally to a camo lining pole
#2 was 90° to the right of #1. #3 was 60° to the right of #2.

LUMI

If this had been a test, I believe Lumi would have passed it, but on this occasion, several problems occurred:
  • As we were waiting at the SL, the flyer got away from the gunner. The gunner called out for Bob to get a dog to pick up the bird, who was active but apparently flightless. I asked the gunner whether I should send Lumi, and when he said that I should, I sent her and she picked up the live duck and brought it to me. I then walked across a bridge on the right to bring the duck back to the gunner.
  • When we then started our series again, I called for the flyer on #1, as usual watching Lumi rather than the field. I heard a gunshot, a long pause, and then another gunshot. Lumi held steady, but concerned that I shouldn't send her if there was any chance of another gunshot, I looked up to see if the gunner had retired, and Lumi broke. I ran the rest of the series as though nothing had happened, but I gave Lumi much longer waits than usual on Series B, and plan to start using long waits on a regular basis for the foreseeable future with both dogs.
  • When #2 was thrown, I wasn't watching thrower, so I'm not sure whether Lumi looked away, or didn't see the mark because of the bright sun, or saw it but was still fixated on the flyer station. In any case, when I sent her, she veered toward #1. Per Alice's suggestion to handle Lumi on marks occasionally rather than calling for help from thrower, I blew WS, then cast Lumi to the mark. She ran straight to it, so perhaps she had seen it. Her responses on the WS and cast were good.
  • Lumi was responsive on cues running the blind, but squared the ditch both ways. We need to work on that.
After running her series, Lumi honored the next dog's non-flyer single without difficulty. I gave her a treat, then tossed a duck and said "get your bird", and she seemed perfectly content as we walked back to the van together.

LADDIE

Laddie ran only #1 and #2 of Series A, and I requested thrown ducks instead of a flyer and instead of using the winger.

I ran Laddie without a slip cord on Series A. He was steady but crept forward several inches on both marks. Alice had suggested having Laddie retrieve a few dummies before sending him if he creeps, but I wasn't comfortable interrupting the group training for that on this occasion.

I didn't communicate with Laddie during either mark except for an auto-whistle as he was pouncing on each bird. His returns and deliveries were excellent in most respects, with no stalling, no dropped birds, firm holds on the delivery. Laddie's return path for #2 was too wide, but that was cheating around difficult terrain, not the resource guarding behavior we have been addressing the last few weeks.

Series B. Bob set Series B up in a different location from Series A, and with fewer factors:
  1. 50-yard mark (duck thrown by winger)
  2. 110-yard mark (hand-thrown duck)
#2 was 60°g; to the left of #1.

LUMI

Because Lumi had broken during Series A when we had a long delay before I sent her, I used a long delay for both marks in Series B. Lumi did fine running this series, then honored a double for the next dog.

LADDIE

I decided to let Laddie experience the winger for #1, and ran him on a slipcord for that mark. He tried to creep or break, so I was glad I had used the slipcord.

Instead of a slipcord on #2, I had Laddie watch the mark thrown with the previously retrieved duck still in his mouth, and he did well. He held onto the old bird, and he didn't creep or seem inclined to break.

The only sound from me while Laddie was running the marks was auto-whistles on both pick-ups. On the first one, I waited to see what Laddie would do if I didn't whistle, and Laddie delayed his pick-up until I whistled. Therefore, I plan to resume an early auto-whistle for the foreseeable future.

Return and Delivery Milestone. Based on Laddie's performance yesterday and today, it appears that it is no longer necessary for me to provide communication other than an auto recall whistle on his returns and deliveries. Based on discussions of dog training I've read, the risk remains that under stress such as competition, the old, incorrect versions of Laddie's return and delivery behavior may crop up, but at least for now, this phase of Laddie's training seems to be a success.

Last fall, after both dogs tried to eat their birds during their turns in a Hunt Test, we three began a long journey, and at times our prospects looked pretty bleak. A month or so ago was the low ebb, when Alice saw in Laddie the warning signs of a failed project.

Yet here we are, two dogs going out, picking up birds, and bringing them back, while I stand quietly waiting for them. Of course we have many more things to train, but today feels like the end of one era and the beginning of a new one.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]