Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hunt Test Training

Today we resumed training with professional trainer Bob Hux, who takes off from dog training during the winter months. Lumi and Laddie each ran the two series that Bob set up for our small group, and then Laddie had a third series by himself. The series were as follows:
  • Series A. Two land retrieves in the style of a Hunt Test (HT) (both dogs).
  • Series B. Another HT-style land series with two marks (both dogs).
  • Series C. Three single marks (Laddie).
Because this was HT-style training rather than Field Trial-style, all throws were preceded by duck calls from both me as handler (simulating the line judge using a duck call to call for the throw) and the thrower sounding a duck call before throwing. In addition, the throwers wore dark clothing rather than white, threw from behind holding blinds rather than in the open, and fired a pistol while the article was in the air rather than before the throw, and the SL was just an area of ground rather than a rubber mat.

Series A. Bob set this series up with two marks:
  1. 40 yards (duck thrown with mechanical tosser, goose decoys en route to the fall)
  2. 80 yards (duck flyer)
LADDIE

I ran Laddie before the other dogs because I wanted him to retrieve a dummy and a duck rather than two ducks, and I thought it would be best if he didn't have to deal with a dummy over duck scent. Ideally, I would have had him run #1 first with a dummy, then #2 with a duck, but the woman at station #1 had a sore arm and could not throw a dummy. So instead, I had Laddie run #2 first with a dummy, then #1 with a duck.

For Laddie's first retrieve (#2 with a dummy), I moved our SL to 50 yards from where the fall would be, called for the throw, and sent him. As he sprinted to the fall, I ran behind him and whistled recall the moment he started his pounce onto the dummy. This brought him running toward me rather than visiting the thrower and crate of ducks, which I was pleased to see, and as he ran toward me, I turned and ran away from him.

Unfortunately, Laddie then caught sight of the goose decoys to his right, and with me running away from him with my back turned, he diverted to check out the decoys out. When I turned back to see how he was doing and saw what was happening, I called and whistled until he quit the diversion and completed his run with me to the SL.

His delivery with the dummy was excellent. Taking a suggestion from Jody, I petted him while he was holding the dummy, then took it away from him at an unexpected moment. That enabled him to maintain a solid grip until the moment I grasped the dummy.

For Laddie's second mark (#1 as listed above), we again walked partially into the field, but this time only 20 yards. Laddie ran this mark well, and when we arrived at the SL together, his delivery was also good.

Laddie ran both marks on a slip cord and tried to break both times.

LUMI

I brought Lumi to the line on a lead and ran the series as two singles, using a slip cord for the flyer. She made no effort to break on either mark and I later removed her collar and didn't use a leash or slip cord the rest of the day.

Lumi's performance on both marks was nearly flawless. The only problem was that she stopped to sniff the decoys running out on #1.

Series B.
To set up this series, Bob used the same positions of the holding blinds, but the throwers moved to the other side of the blinds, and we ran from the other side of the field. The resulting two marks were:
  1. 50 yards (pheasant, crate of live ducks with thrower behind the blind, goose decoys en route to the fall)
  2. 100 yards (pheasant)
LADDIE

I again ran Laddie as the first dog, and again ran #1 with a dummy and #2 with a bird, in this case a pheasant. I knew that #1 presented a challenge because the crate of ducks was near the fall, and sure enough, Laddie did turn toward them after picking up the dummy. But since I had shadowed him, I was able to quickly regain control of him and race with him back to the original SL.

Although #2 was the longest mark of the day and although Laddie has had few experiences with pheasants, I somehow knew that he would have no difficulty with it, so we walked up 20 yards and I didn't shadow him. As I expected, he dashed to the fall, picked up the pheasant, and raced back with it, delivering it without any of the problems he was having until we recently began shaping his delivery.

Laddie again ran both marks on a slip cord and tried to break both times.

LUMI

Lumi came and left the SL off lead and ran without a collar or slip cord. She didn't flinch on either mark, nor when I had her honor the next dog running the short mark as a single. Her performance on the marks themselves made them look simple: She kept her eye on the fall after each throw, and when released, she pinned each one, ran back, swung to heel and delivered. After she ran both marks, I pointed at the pheasants on the ground and said "Get your bird," and together we walked to the van, where she hopped in and got some treats.

Series C. Because of the difficulty Laddie had on Series B #1, I asked one of the other trainer to throw three more marks from that holding blind for Laddie, with the crate of live ducks still there behind the holding blind. I ran Laddie from three different distances:
  1. 30 yards
  2. 60 yards
  3. 120 yards
In addition, I asked the thrower not to throw the dummy too far, and to pick it up if Laddie broke. Then I ran him without a slip cord all three times.

It's odd that I expected Laddie to have trouble with #1 when we ran it the first time, and indeed he did, yet for Series C, I expected that he would not have trouble on any of the three marks, and indeed he did not.

Just in case I was wrong, I shadowed Laddie on #1, but I then saw with his pick-up and return that it was unnecessary. He never even glanced at the holding blind, the crate of ducks, or the thrower. He just grabbed the dummy and raced back to me. For #2 and #3, I didn't bother to shadow him, and I was right, it was unnecessary. Nor did he break on any of the three marks, nor did he have any problem with the strip of high cover he had to cross for #3. In addition, he didn't get side-tracked or freelance on any of his returns, and all three of his deliveries were excellent.

I don't know what it means that Laddie had a problem with Series B #1, but did not have a problem with any of the marks in Series C. I'd like to think that it was because he learned something while running Series B and then in Series C he exhibited that learning. But perhaps there's another explanation.

We'll be training with Bob again at another location on Thursday. It will be interesting to see how Laddie does at that time.

Note on the Decoys. Neither dog has seen a decoy in several months. As a result, both dogs were distracted by them on the first mark of the day, but neither dog was distracted by them again thereafter.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]