Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hunt Test Training

Today was our second Tuesday HT group session at Cheltenham for the new season, our third with Bob Hux overall (we also had a Thursday session at the Park Heights property, as we plan to again this week). We didn't have time to warm up, so after the dogs had a chance to air, we ran two series with Bob, who was training five dogs, and another trainer, who training one.

Conditions. Temps in the low 50s, wind 5-10 MPH, overcast and misty, with a light rain falling.

Series A. Lumi ran the same version of Series A as most of the other dogs, while Laddie ran a modified version.

LUMI

Lumi ran Series A as two singles and a blind:
  1. 130-yard mark (duck thrown by a winger) with decoys on line to the fall
  2. 70-yard mark (flyer duck)
  3. 100-yard blind (duck at camo lining pole)
The configuration was as follows:
  • #2 was 30° to left of #1
  • #3 was 15° to left of #2
Lumi was steady and retrieved flawlessly on both marks, and ran the blind with a single cast, an "over" when she came up level with the blind pole but had not noticed the blind 10 yards to her left. Her WS was sluggish but serviceable.

The blind was not only tight to a mark, but even more difficult because it was tight specifically to the last mark run, to a flyer, and to a location still occupied by a crate of active ducks. By way of comparison, the only other dog who ran the blind was an SH FCR training for Master, and that dog required at least half a dozen casts.

On another day, the number of casts might have been reversed, but on this day, Lumi did well.

LADDIE

Based on our training with Nate, I felt that Laddie could probably handle the distances that Bob had set up for this series, but I made the series easier for Laddie in other ways. The series he ran was as follows:
  1. 70-yard mark (hand-thrown duck, with the crate of flyers behind the holding blind)
  2. 130-yard mark (hand-thrown duck) with decoys on line to the fall
Laddie was steady on both marks, but crept forward several feet on #2. Before sending him, I called him back to my side, and he responded to "here" by backing up into heel position, without spinning around nor taking his eyes off the fall for an instant. Alice suggested recently that I train Laddie to do that, but we haven't started the training yet. It appears that under field conditions, Laddie does it naturally.

Laddie's pick-up and most of the return on both marks was excellent, as were his deliveries. But on #2, he dropped the bird 10 yards from home, then picked it up and completed the return when I cued "give it". We've stopped seeing that behavior much in training with Nate, so I assume that it returned in the more exciting context of group training. I gave some thought about how to prevent it on Series B, and watching Bob run his dogs first on Series B, I saw him swing a duck in a big loop for one of them when the dog was returning. I decided to do the same thing with Laddie when our turn came.

Series B. Once again, Lumi ran this series like most of the other dogs, while Laddie ran a modified version.

LUMI

Lumi ran Series B as a double, with both marks as ducks thrown by mechanical launchers:
  1. 110-yard memory-bird (crate of live ducks still at this station)
  2. 60-yard go-bird, with goose decoys on line to the fall
I had decided in advance that if Lumi turned away from #1 before the duck call sounded at #2, I'd send her to #1 immediately, whether she'd seen the throw or not.

Lumi did look away from #1 too soon, but the thrower at #2 blew her duck call thand threw the bird before I sent Lumi, so we had to go forward with the double.

Lumi picked up #2 without difficulty, but when I tried to line her up for #1, she kept looking back at the thrower for #2. "Uh, oh," I thought, "Lumi never saw the throw." Since I watch my dog rather than the throw, I hadn't been sure of the timing.

After several tries, I finally got Lumi to look toward #1 and then sent her. I was pleased that Bob remained in his chair behind the holding blind at #1, so that I knew that Lumi wasn't getting any help I hadn't requested. Lo and behold, Lumi ran straight to the fall, completing an excellent double.

I was pleased, but in the future I need to a better job of instructing the go-bird throwers not to throw until I call for it. Even though it came out all right, I feel it would have been better to send Lumi to #1 as soon as she looked away, since the way it went down, she learned in effect that she can make a thrower throw by looking in that direction, possibly without even waiting to watch the previous throw. I'd rather she learn that if she looks away, she gets sent and doesn't get to run the double she's apparently craving.

LADDIE

Laddie ran Series B as two singles, with both marks as hand-thrown ducks:
  1. 60-yard mark, with goose decoys on line to the fall
  2. 110-yard mark (crate of live ducks still at this station)
On #1, Laddie crept and I called him back, but he took "here" as a release and broke. I called "here here" but he ignored me, so he thrower picked up the bird per earlier instructions I had given her. When we ran #1 again, Laddie again crept, but this time backed up when I called "here". He didn't break again on either mark.

Following Bob's example, I swung a bird in a big loop as Laddie was about halfway back on both returns, and was pleased to see that he did not slow down or drop the bird either time.

Except for the creeping and the break, Laddie's performance in this series was excellent, from precision marking to solid deliveries.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]