Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hunt Test Training

Today, Lumi, Laddie, and I met with Bob Hux and a small Hunt Test group at the Park Heights property where we used to train once or twice a week last year. With temperatures in the 40s, Bob felt it was still too cold for water retrieves, so he set up two land series. As he had on Tuesday, he placed the holding blinds in the field once, and then we ran from one side of them for Series A, and the other side for Series B.

The series were as follows:
  • Series A. Marks of 50 and 80 yards, and an 80-yard blind (Laddie ran in modified form as singles, Lumi ran as two singles and the blind)
  • Series B. Marks of 50 and 90 yards, and a 90-yard blind (Laddie ran in modified form as singles, Lumi ran as a double and the blind)
Chasing Canadas. The dogs and I arrived first, and I let them out of the van to plan and air while I loaded the pistol and completed other preparatory details. After some playing in the field, Lumi and Laddie ran to inspect the pond, and Laddie became interested in the small flock of Canadas on the water. The next moment, he dived in and began swimming toward one of the geese, who of course had no trouble evading him. I watched as he continued to swim after it for another few seconds, and then I called "here". I was pleased to see that he instantly turned and began swimming toward me. He became distracted by other geese as he came in and I had to call "here" twice more, but again, he was immediately responsive each time I did so. When he got out of the water, I towel dried him and sent him into his crate, then started the van and turned up the heat for the rear compartment. He was shivering at first, but soon stopped, and by the time he ran his second series a couple of hours later, he had dried off entirely.

I measured the surface temperature at the edge of the pond at 51°, warmer than I would have thought. Perhaps it was colder in the middle and deeper.

Series A. I had Laddie run a modified version, while Lumi ran the series the way Bob designed it.

LADDIE

Running as second dog, two single marks:
  1. 30 yards (dummy)
  2. 40 yards thru decoys (duck)
Rather than shadowing Laddie, which I decided has an undesirable franticness to it, I just ran him on a short mark for #1, then a slightly longer one for #2. His performance was excellent, from the marks to the pick-ups to the returns to the deliveries. He was calm, confident, fast, alert, and solid.

LUMI

Two single marks and a blind:
  1. 50 yards (duck)
  2. 80 yards thru decoys (duck thrown by mechanical tosser)
  • Blind: 80 yards to a lightly wooded stand of trees (camo lining pole and bird)
Lumi started the series with flawless marks. On the blind, she stopped to go to the bathroom at 60 yards. When she finished, I called "here", blew a WS after three loping steps, then cast her on angle back and she lined the remainder of the blind.

Lumi finished by honoring the next dog's first single without difficulty. I gave her a treat, said "get your bird", and we walked back to the van.

Series B. Again, I had Laddie run a modified version, while Lumi ran the series the way Bob designed it.

LADDIE

Again running as second dog, two single marks:
  1. 50 yards thru decoys (dummy)
  2. 70 yards (duck)
Laddie had excellent marks, pick-ups, and deliveries on both marks. His return on #1 was also excellent. His return on #2 was excellent till three yards from the SL. Then Laddie suddenly dropped the duck and stared at it. Noting that he did not try to play with it, roll on it, or chew on it, I did not see this as a recurrence of old difficulties but something different.

I cued "give it", and with some visible reluctance, Laddie picked up the bird and delivered it nicely. Inspecting it, I saw that it was in pretty bad shape. I've noticed that Laddie isn't that fond of carrying birds by their smooth skin, after a lot of the feathers are gone from repeated use. Hopefully Laddie won't be required to retrieve birds in that bad shape in competition.

LUMI

A double and a blind:
  1. 90 yards, the memory bird (duck)
  2. 50 yards thru decoys, the go bird (duck thrown by mechanical tosser)
  • Blind: 90 yards to a camo lining pole and duck next to a large tree
The double was fairly tight — 30° — and the blind was even tighter to line to #2 — 15°.

Lumi had a controlled break on #1, which wasn't surprising since we haven't practiced doubles in some time. Otherwise, her series was gorgeous, including lining the blind. She also honored the next dog's single without difficulty.

Laddie's Steadiness. I had attached a slip cord to my belt before the other trainers arrived so that I could use it with Laddie, but once Series A was set up, I decided it would be more convenient to have Laddie steady as he is in our private training, so I wouldn't have to bother with the slip cord and we could concentrate on other things. Therefore, I asked the throwers on Series A to not throw their articles too far, and to step on them or pick them up if they heard me say "here" and Laddie didn't come back to me.

On #1, that's exactly what happened. Laddie broke, ignored "here", the thrower stepped on the dummy, Laddie took a brief look at the situation and came running back to me, and that completed his steadiness training. He didn't try another break the rest of the day.

Soon, though, we need to work on his creeping.

Decoys. After checking out the decoys on Tuesday, neither Lumi nor Laddie seems to be paying any attention to decoys any more. Unless we have an exception to that in the future, I won't mention it again.

"Get Your Bird".
When Laddie finished each series, I said "get your bird" and we walked back to the van together. As with Lumi, "get your bird" is now becoming a tradition with Laddie that I expect to continue. Both dogs seem to enjoy walking along next to me carrying their birds, rather than trying to interact with other dogs or people, going off to sniff, or being otherwise distracted on the way back to the van. I think that instead of just being "put up", it's something for them to look forward to.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]