Friday, May 15, 2009

Water Tune-up

Cheltenham

With both dogs entered in a Senior Hunt Test tomorrow, and with Lumi having rested since last Sunday, I thought I'd take both dogs to Cheltenham for some final water work before tomorrow's test.

SERIES A. Over-into-water drill (Lumi and Laddie)

This was a drill similar to one suggested by Alice Woodyard to work on Lumi's running a bank instead of taking an Over cue into water at an earlier Hunt Test this spring. I used it with both dogs today:
  1. I propped up two white dummies in the high grass 3/4ths of the way down a peninsula, as a "pile".
  2. I sent Lumi to the pile.
  3. I sent Lumi to the pile again, but blew WS when she was halfway to the pile.
  4. I cued "Over" into the water on the left.
  5. As soon as she was in the water, I tossed a white dummy a few feet in front of her for her to swim to and bring back back to me.
  6. We played a little tug.
  7. I switched dogs and ran Laddie on the same two retrieves.
  8. I switched dogs again and ran Lumi again, this time cueing "Over" to the right in Step 4.
  9. I switched dogs again and ran Laddie again, again cueing "Over" to the right this time.
Notes:
  • Lumi did not respond to the first "Over" in Step 4. I moved her closer to the water and stepped up right in front of her, and when I cued "Over", she leapt right in. I then re-ran Step 3 and Lumi responded perfectly, as she also did when we ran it to the right.
  • Laddie understood the game immediately. In fact, he popped when I tried to send him to the pile for his second series, anticipating that I was going to stop him and cue Over. I called him back and resent him, and this time he went all the way to the pile. But he seemed thrilled when I then stopped him the next time and sent him into the water.
SERIES B. Water blind (Lumi, then Laddie)

This was a 30-yard blind with a difficult angle entry and a swim through an S-curve, providing temptation on both sides. The duck was planted in high grass near water's edge. Both dogs made an excellent entry without difficulty. Lumi required several cues to keep her from squaring the far bank. Laddie required almost no cueing. Both dogs had good pick-ups and water re-entries.

SERIES C. Water blind (Lumi, then Laddie)

This was an 80-yard blind with another difficult angle entry and the duck again planted in high grass near water's edge. Both dogs had good entries, swam straight to the blind, and had good pick-ups and water re-entries.

SERIES D. Water blind (Lumi, then Laddie)

This was the same retrieve that Laddie did not return from on our last Hunt Test a couple of weeks ago, but with some differences:
  • By the time we ran Series D, I had discarded the ducks, which were by then in bad condition. So I used ODs for Series D.
  • In the Hunt Test, this retrieve was the memory-bird of a water double, thrown with shotgun fire and by means of a winger. Those factors, plus the presence of throwers and the general excitement of an event, made the Hunt Test version of this retrieve far more exciting than today's water blind.
Lumi required three send-outs before she'd enter the water without stalling, and then required several cues to prevent her from squaring the bank and coming to shore early. In the Hunt Test we ran, Lumi didn't have either of those issues, and if she had, I probably would have just let her do what she was going to do as long as she completed the retrieve.

Laddie swam straight to the blind in the direction I'd sent him, shook off, and picked the dummy up immediately when I blew CIW. He then turned away from me as though planning to take the dummy in the opposite direction. When I called "This way", he turned back toward me but ran the bank some distance. I stopped him with a WS and cued him into the water with an angle-in.

CONCLUSION. Despite minor glitches, I thought both dogs appeared to be ready for the water retrieves in tomorrow's test. I wouldn't be surprised if they're easier than some that both my dogs have practiced on lately. In addition, Lumi was active and bouncy, showing no sign of lameness, so hopefully she's sound enough to participate and enjoy tomorrow's event.

If they make it to the water series, I think Lumi's most probable weakness may be that she isn't sufficiently responsive to casts. Laddie has been disqualified in both events where he reached water this year for beaching on an LWL retrieve, so that remains a major concern, but at least in our last event, he also made an excellent retrieve on the go-bird, which was also an LWL retrieve, without the slightest hesitation entering the water. He seems to have made significant progress with the Wetfoot Drill we've been working on since the last test.

We've had little chance to practice steadiness since the last test, and no chance to train with a group. I can only hope that both dogs' earlier training in those areas will hold up tomorrow.

I hardly think we're a lock, but I think both dogs have a chance of doing reasonably well.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]