Sunday, May 24, 2009

Interrupted Double, LWL without Whistle

Oaks Area 2

SERIES A. Interrupted land double and double blind (Lumi, then Laddie)

Although I rarely run Lumi on doubles in practice because I don't want her anticipating the second throw and swinging her head too soon, today I wanted to create a strong diversion for a blind and decided to use an interrupted double for the purpose.

For the marks, I used RLs, weighted streamers, and pre-positioned ducks. Both "throws" were in the same direction as the light wind, our usual practice so that the dog doesn't learn to run to the thrower to try to pick up the scent.

For the blinds, I used ODs with no markers.

Our field had several large bales of hay on it today, so I set the RLs up on top of two of the bales. The second blind also used two bales of hay as a diagonal keyhole.

When "throwing" the marks (that is, remotely launching the streamers toward the pre-positioned ducks), I used an LP as a "handler's gun" to aim at the RL and then follow the streamer with the "gun barrel". In addition, I used one of our new starter pistols to fire a shot, holding the pistol against the "LP" and firing just before pressing the button on the RL's transmitter.

Although I have been concerned about Lumi's head-swinging, this procedure seemed to keep her attention on each fall until I expressly cued her to turn with me.

The first mark of the double was on the left, thrown left to right at 60 yards. The second mark of the double was on the right, left to right at 50 yards. After both marks were thrown, I ran the dog on the first blind at 80 yards, on a line 15° to the right of the line to the right bird. When the dog delivered the first OD, I sent the dog to pick up the right bird, then the left bird. Finally, I ran the dog on a blind at 90 yards, midway between the fall from the left mark and the RL for the right mark.

NOTES. I tried to run Lumi on Series A first, but she ran to the second mark when I tried to run her on the first blind and would not allow me to handle her off the bird to the right. I went out, slipped on her lead, and put her in the van.

Next I ran Laddie on Series A and he did fine. Like Lumi, he veered right when sent on the first blind, but he readily accepted handling off the bird and to the blind 30 yards further back, thru a keyhole formed by a gap in a line of trees.

Then I brought Lumi back out and tried it again. Again she would not accept a cast to the right away from the right bird at first, but I was able to obtain a good response by walking about 10 yards toward Lumi and then casting again. Once she'd gotten some distance from the bird, she became responsive to handling again. In addition, her enthusiasm throughout the series was excellent.

SERIES B. Wetfoot Drill

Rather than continuing to build distance for birds in the water near shore, an exercise I do want to get back to in the future, I decided that I was more interested today in working on both dogs ability to pick up an inland bird on an LWL without any delays, particularly shaking off.

So I chose a corner of the pond behind Stadler's nursery with a 15-foot swim, and ran the dogs repeatedly on the same retrieve, with the throw on land four feet from water's edge.

For the first nine throws, I blew CIW just as the dog approached the bird. If the dog shook, I called out "Nope" and went around the side of the pond to pick the dog up. If not, I cheered as the dog re-entered swim-depth water with the bird, and gave high-value treats when the dog delivered.

When both dogs had retrieved twice in a row without shaking, I decided to try it without any cueing from me. I was pleased to see that both dogs completed the retrieve without shaking even though I had not blown the whistle nor used any other cue when they arrived at the duck.

Today's sequence of throws was as follows:
  1. Laddie, CIW, good job
  2. Lumi, CIW, shook off, WO
  3. Lumi, CIW, good job
  4. Laddie, CIW, shook off, WO
  5. Laddie, CIW, good job
  6. Lumi, CIW, shook off, WO
  7. Lumi, CIW, good job
  8. Laddie, CIW, good job
  9. Lumi, CIW, good job
  10. Laddie, no cueing, good job
  11. Lumi, no cueing, good job

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]