Monday, January 12, 2009

Land Series

Riggs Road

I've been able to arrange my new job to allow for training most afternoons before it gets dark. After Laddie's difficulty with a long mark yesterday, I did the best I could practicing alone to set up some work on marks and blinds of similar length to the longer ones we generally see in the Sunday Field Trial group.

SERIES A. Land double and blind (Laddie only)

Lumi refused a recall from about 150 yards when I called her to me after setting this series up, so I put her in the van to watch Laddie work and didn't let her run this series.

For the double, I used RLs, weighted streamers, and ducks. The left mark, the memory-bird, was at 240 yards, thrown right to left. The right mark, the go-bird, was at 210 yards, also thrown right to left. After the dog picked up both marks, the dog ran a 300-yard blind, an OD marked with an LP, on a line just to the left of the left mark.

SERIES B. Single land blind (Lumi, then Laddie)

This blind was 290 yards, a duck marked by a lining pole. Despite the distance, the featureless field presented little challenge. Both dogs veered a bit left as they ran, responded well to WSs at 150 yards, and took a single angle-back cast to the bird.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]