Friday, January 2, 2009

Land Blinds, Sighting, Turning at Heel

Land Blinds at Zion Road

Note: Today while exploring with the dogs, I found another new training area, which I'll refer to as "Zion Road". See the section "Training Properties" in the right margin for a description.

Today I didn't have time to set up any marks, but I did run both dogs on several blinds. Among a total of approximately ten blinds for each dog as we tried out various locations, Lumi's longest was 160 yards, while Laddie's longest was 230 yards. Those two blinds were with ducks. Lumi's was inside a wooded area, while Laddie's required him to run thru the wooded area and then into the clear before finding the duck in a second wooded section. Those blinds were paired with a 70-yard blind in high cover and beside some other trees, with a fairly narrow angle, less than 30 degrees, between the two blinds. I thought it was a good challenge, and both blinds did require several WSCs, meaning they were not so easy that the dogs could line them. For example, both dogs got too deep on the short blind, giving us a chance to practice come-ins.

Both dogs performed quite prettily today. Not having a group to train with since November has been wearing on my emotions lately. Watching my dogs out there happily running their blinds, Lumi with her rocking-horse lope and Laddie as irrepressible blur, was a nice antidote.

Sighting

For some reason, yesterday I started doing something new with both dogs, and I continued today. As the dog lined up on a blind or a memory-bird, I leaned over and used my entire forearm, with fingers outstretched, to point in the right direction, placing my arm so that the dog could use it as a sight. Once the dog's gaze was locked in the correct direction, I stood up and sent the dog with my hand over the dog's forehead as I usually do.

This procedure seemed to give both dogs tremendous confidence in their alignment on take-off, and seemed to make the retrieves easier than ever. The improvement in the dogs' confidence in the accuracy of the line was so high, it felt like cheating.

Turning at Heel

In the evening, we had a second clicker-training session on holding heel position when Daddy turns, which we started working on yesterday evening. This was free treats for Lumi, who has had years of practice on this skill from our freestyle days. For Laddie, his tendency was to set up straight but either behind me or too far to the side. I used a target hand, and at times the barrier of a wall or a chair, in addition to the clicker and high-value treats, to work with him on it.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]