Sunday, January 4, 2009

Field Trial Training

Cheltenham

Both dogs ran with the FT group today. The group only ran one series on this occasion. With overnight temps in the low 20s, of course it was a land series. First, I'll describe it as run by the advanced dogs:

SERIES A. Triple mark followed by double blind

The first mark was in the center, thrown right to left, over a strip of cover and into the open, at 170 yards. The strip of cover was long and narrow, running parallel to the dog's line to the mark, and nearly every dog ran the mark by running toward the gun, then around the end of the cover and back to the fall.

The second mark was on the left, thrown from behind a tree and angling back, left to right at 80 yards. The third mark, the go-bird, was on the right, thrown right to left into cover at 150 yards. All marks were WDs.

After the dog picked up all three marks, the first blind was to the right at 170 yards. The line to that blind was just behind the right gun and on a diagonally sloping hill, such that if the dog squared the hillside, that took the dog further to the right. An additional factor pulling the dog to the right was a lining pole used by trainers for private practice and not part of this series, but clearly visible only 20 yards to the right and further uphill from the blind. The blind itself was also marked by a lining pole, but the other lining pole was at the top of the hill and visible against the sky, while the blind's lining pole was barely visible with wintry hillside behind it.

The second blind was to the left at 190 yards, between the left and center guns. A group of trees was on the left side of the line to the blind, and the blind itself, an OD, was at the foot of one of those trees.

LUMI: Although the distances were a bit long for Lumi, I felt she'd be fine at those distances and she was. I had her run the long single first, then a double with the 150-yard mark on the right, then the 80-yard mark on the left. She did fine with the single and the go-bird, but I made a mistake and sent her before she was lined up properly on the memory-bird, and she went too far right and needed help.

For the blinds, which my dogs ran after all the other dogs were finished and the throwers had left the field, I decided to walk up about 60 yards for Lumi. She then ran both blinds well.

LADDIE: I ran Laddie on the same sequence as Lumi. For the single, only one dog all day of the dogs I watched ran on a straight line from the SL to the fall, staying to the left of the cover the entire way, and that was Laddie. He also ran the go-bird well. Unfortunately, I then made the identical mistake with him that I'd made with Lumi, but that led to an unfortunate event.

When I called for help, the thrower decided to throw another dummy. I know that's what people often do to help dogs, but I've never asked people to do that with Laddie, because when he was younger he'd try to retrieve both of them. At first he did that today, and then he gave up on that and just tried to deliver one of the dummies -- but not to me, to the thrower. I don't know what his deal was, maybe because he hasn't seen a real mark in a month, but he's had zillions of happy throws.

After group training was over, I asked the same trainer to throw two more marks for me, one for each of my dogs. These were uphill marks thrown from beside a tree into cover, with the dog running beside, and then over, a meandering road ad then thru several strips of high cover. Lumi's was 160 yards, Laddie's was 210 yards. Both dogs did a nice job, both in their marking and with their deliveries and returns.

I need to take my time with FT series to line both my dogs up before sending them on a memory-bird. It's never been an issue with HT training days, events, or private practice, they always seemed anxious to give up one bird and go out to get the next one, and never seemed to need any help from me lining up. I see now that it's different on these FT setups.

As for Laddie not coming back, I just have to see over a period of weeks. I'd bet anything that if we could train with a group several times a week, he'd be coming back in no time, just as he was all this last year on land series when we were training with Bob Hux's groups. How long it will take the novelty of real live throwers to wear off for him training just once a week, I don't know.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]