Thursday, October 30, 2008

Offline Drill, Honoring

With long hours at work and less sunlight every day, we had little time for training today. I had Lumi run an offline drill, 70-yard segments, in the morning, and worked with both dogs on honoring, that is, learning the new "Ready to Play?" (RTP) cue.

For Lumi, our next step was to get someone to work with another dog while Lumi was in down. We did this step this morning. First rep, DW Renee simply brought Gabriel to line and gave him a treat, then I called Here and Lumi and I ran off. Second rep, Renee threw a tennis ball for Gabe, then I called Here. Third rep, I asked Renee to run around Lumi in a circle with Gabe, giving him treats and throwing his tennis ball. Lumi did fine on all of that, except that she began whining and barking (unusual for Lumi), not to get to Renee and Gabe, but impatient for me to call Here. I realize that vocalizing could be a problem during a test and even get us dropped, but I told Lumi "shhh" and hopefully she won't continue doing it.

Today was Laddie's second RTP session, and since I wasn't sure he was conditioned to the cue as predicting reinfocement for running away from the direction he was facing, we just worked on that. As before, it was difficult to tell if he interpreted RTP as meaning "sit" because he automatically sits when he senses we're setting up for a retrieve, and unlike Lumi, Laddie is not being trained to down on RTP. But I shortened the time interval between RTP and Here, and stayed close to the van where the bird was waiting, and I think he was starting to anticipate the run back to the van, with a treat en route, as being predicted by RTP.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]