Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hunt Test Training, Offline Drill, Honoring

AM: Cheltenham

CONDITIONS. Temps in 40s and 50s, winds gusting to 50 MPH, rainy at first, clearing by late morning. Both dogs seemed highly energized and distracted by the conditions.

SERIES A. Bob Hux's first land series: Two marks and a blind (both dogs)

Lumi again honored from a down, but handler she was honoring for ran the two marks as singles, and was using a very long delay before sending his dog, as well as calling the dog back from creeping. Lumi held honoring the dead bird but broke on the flyer. I chased her down, took the bird away, walked her back on lead, and had her honor on lead for the next try. She again tried to break, but couldn't because of the lead.

From this, I learned (a) that Lumi is not yet reliable honoring a flyer, even on lead, and (b) that Lumi does not appear to be lead-wise. The value of (b) is that if I have her honor on lead in the future and she doesn't attempt to break, I can take that to mean that she was really exercising self-control, rather than that she was steady only because of the lead.

SERIES B. Bob's second land series: Different orientation and placements, again two marks and a blind (both dogs)

SERIES C. Offline drill, 50-yard segments, thru several diagonal strips of high cover, with OD/LP at each offline blind, and LP/duck for the non-handling blind at the end of the 150-yard BL (both dogs)

SERIES D. Same dimensions as Series C, but different orientation and placements (both dogs)

PM: Neighborhood

Lumi only: Began a new training plan I've come up with to work on Lumi's honoring.

We drove to an area of the neighborhood with a lawn that belongs to the community, and worked 15 yards from the van. Conditions were dark, windy, temps in the 40s.

The goals of this first session:
  • "Ready to play?" to become a cue to lie down.
  • Lumi learning that RTP predicts "Here" followed by high-value rewards.
I placed a duck on the hood of the van, set up with Lumi a few yards away facing away from the van, cued RTP followed immediately by a hand cue for "down". When she was down, I stepped behind her right hip, facing away from her, then immediately cued Here and sprinted toward the van. As she leapt up and quickly caught me, I lowered my hand beside my leg to feed her a chunk of chicken, while we continued to run to the van. At the van, I grabbed the bird and threw it and Lumi chased it and brought it straight to me. I threw it a total of 3-4 times, each time running around and playing chase games with her. Then I put the bird back on the hood and we went back to the same place and repeated the game.

Lumi took about five reps before she figured out that RTP meant "down", but judging by her body language, she seemed to learn after the first rep that once she was down, good things were in store.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]