Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Blinds, Drills

AM: Brooke Knoll

SERIES A. Left to right within a 90° angle:
  • #1: 70-yard blind, OD/SF
  • #3: 180-yard blind, OD/SF
  • #2: 120-yard blind, OD/SF
Both dogs waited in van while I set up the course, and each dog waited in the van while the other dog ran.

After setting the dogs up on each blind, I threw a duck 15 yards out, on a line 30° to the left of the line to #1. I then ran the dog on the blind, and when the dog returned, I sent the dog to retrieve the duck. I used a different duck for each dog.

As further reinforcement for the dogs' performance, and to encourage fast pick-ups and returns, I tossed each dog a high-value treat (a bite of fried chicken) after each blind.

Laddie. A little distracted by bird, but handled well.

Lumi. More stubbornly distracted by the bird, but remained responsive.

SERIES B. Pick-up speed drill: a short poorman double with ducks.

Laddie. Great on short bird, but dawdled a bit on the long bird. I wasn't expecting that from Laddie and didn't react quickly enough. next time, I'll use a walk-out and then resend him.

Lumi. Great job on both birds.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]