Monday, July 14, 2008

Lining Drills, Handling Drills

Summary. Both dogs ran the identical series all day.

In the morning at the neighborhood lacrosse field:
  • Series A. Lining drill
  • Series B. Lining drill
  • Series C. Handling drill
In the afternoon at Oaks Area 2:
  • Series D. Handling drill
  • Series E. Handling drill
Series A, B. Two 100-yard send-out to orange dummies marked by surveyors flags.

Lumi's grade: B. Sustained runs and needed no handling, but arced on downhill segment, self-correcting when she spotted the flag.

Laddie's grade: B. Same behavior as Lumi, except less arcing; however, also arced on return.

I used WSORs with ducks on every return in both Series A and B. Seemed to improve Lumi's speed. Both dogs say increasingly promptly when whistled.

Series C. MTD but without the diversions at Q1/Q3.

Lumi's grade: A.

Laddie's grade: B. Excellent except that he sometimes veered offline on returns. I suspect this came from previous training with Q1/Q3.

Will stop using Q1/Q3 until both dogs are fluent on MTD. My plan would then be to start with lower-value Q1/Q3 (dummies) and start by throwing them behind me at 6:00 instead of as lateral diversions at 2:00 and 10:00.

I also may begin to WS Laddie on veering returns.

Based on suggestions from experienced trainer yesterday:
  • I used the new WS he recommended, loud and sustained. Seemed to give both dogs increased confidence.
  • I turned my thumbs down on casts. I saw no change in dogs' performance, but why not?
Series D, E. Two MTDs, different positions and orientations. The first one was 70-50-60 yards left to right (P3-P2-P1). The second one was 60-50-70.

I used a WSOR with duck for every retrieve.

Laddie's grades:
  • Lining: D. Repeatedly veered off on send-outs from left heel*.
  • WS: A.
  • Casting: A.
  • Return: D. Repeatedly dropped dummy on WSOR.
Lumi's grades:
  • Lining: C. Veered off on send-outs from left heel a few times*.
  • WS: A.
  • Casting: C. Repeatedly interpreted Back and angle Back as Over.
  • Return: A.
*I wonder, why did both dogs repeatedly veer off on send-outs from left heel?

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]