Saturday, July 5, 2008

Handling Drill

Summary. The dogs and I drove to Cheltenham this morning, but because of a snafu in the way the gate had been locked, we were unable to gain access.

So we returned home and trained on a large field I'll call Cinnabar, behind a nearby school. The gnats were awful, but both dogs performed well:
  • Series A. Multiple target drill (both dogs)
Series A. This was my latest version of the multiple target drill (MTD), with Laddie running first, Lumi second, each dog honoring the other unsupervised when not running:
  • I placed a lining pole as the start line (SL).
  • I walked off a 100-yard backline (BL) and placed a surveyors flag and five white dummies. That point is designated P2.
  • 20 yards beyond P2 in the same line, I placed a second lining pole.
  • 20 yards to the right of P2, I placed another surveyors flag and three orange dummies. That point is designated P1.
  • 20 yards to the left of P2, I placed a third surveyors flag and three more orange dummies. That point is designated P3.
  • With Laddie watching from the SL, I walked 20 yards toward P2, then threw one canvas dummy 20 yards to the right (Q1) and one 20 yards to the left (Q3) as diversions.
  • After Laddie ran and it was Lumi's turn, P1-P2-P3 still had enough dummies for Lumi, but Q1 and Q3 had to be re-thrown while Lumi was watching at the SL.
I ran each dog in this sequence: P2-P3-P2-P1-Q3-Q1.

The lining pole may have helped Laddie, who lined both runs to P2 without popping as I had hoped he would, as well as the easy runs to Q3 and Q1. Laddie also handled well on the handling blinds, P3 and P1.

The lining pole may also have helped Lumi, who lined P2 the first time as well as Q3 and Q1 at the end. But today it wasn't enough to stop her from veering back toward P3 the second time I sent her to P2, which turned the second P2 into a handling blind along with P3 and P1. That was good handling practice, but eliminated one of the non-handling send-outs intended to build motivation, speed, and confidence on the send-outs.

The good news is that both dogs handled crisply and accurately on all whistle sits and casts, giving me continued confidence that this is a useful drill for developing handling fluency.

Next time, I would like to increase handling distance, which means pushing P1-P2-P3 further out from the SL. I'll try placing P1 and P3 further away from P2 to see if that improves Lumi's confidence in her non-handling send-outs to P2. If available, I may also use a prominent landmark such as a tree, rather than a lining pole, as the salient send-out target behind P2.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]