Monday, December 1, 2008

Drill

AM: Oaks Area 2

With limited time, I just ran a single remote casting drill (RCD) with each dog.

The dog was cast from a position 40 yards from the SL to a pre-positioned duck 120 yards from the SL. The diversion WDs were thrown at 45° angles to the line to the duck.

Both dogs responded correctly to the first Back cast. Yay!

Note on Tie-out

Laddie has a long-standing habit of barking when left in the van while I'm training Lumi. He is also destructive of property in the van at times. Since I'm unwilling to use a bark collar, which would contradict my goal of training the dogs without aversives, and because Laddie's muzzle gets scratched up when he's confined in a wire or solid crate while he's barking — I've tried both kinds — I've been at a loss how to solve the problem. I've tried covering the crate but he still barks and scratches up his muzzle. I've tried putting him in a stay behind the SL while I'm running Lumi, but he tends to wander up beside me or even to begin responding to the cues I'm calling out to Lumi. I've tried tethering him to my belt with a short lead, but that's not fair to Lumi, because she ends up seeing the picture of Daddy and Laddie when she faces me for handling and on her return run, rather than seeing me giving her all my attention.

Alice Woodyard suggested in an email that I try putting Laddie on a tie-out with a 3' lead. I had tried a tie-out on my own when Laddie was younger, and his digging and barking made it impractical, but I thought I'd give it another try after Alice's suggestion, thinking maybe I had used a longer line in the past and it might work better with a shorter one.

For today's brief session, I put Laddie on the tie-out five yards behind the SL while I ran Lumi, and Laddie never made a peep. He may have dug a bit, but it wasn't bad. It looks like the tie-out might work this time. Over a period of days, I'll move the tie-out further and further from the SL and closer and closer to the van, until a time hopefully comes when I can leave Laddie on a tie-out near the van while running Lumi whatever distance away happens to be involved. In the summer, I can get a second tie-out for Lumi, leave both dogs with bowls of water, and they'll be even better off than they were in the hot van.

Note on Tabs

Based on another suggestion from Alice, which matches a long-standing suggestion from Jody Baker that I have been inconsistent in implementing, both dogs have been wearing collars with short "tabs" attached. The tabs are very short lines, with a snap hook at one end to attach the tab to the collar, and a pair of knots at the other end to provide a grip and to shorten the length of the tab to 9" so that hopefully the dogs will not get the knot caught between their toes while running.

My primary purpose in obtaining the tabs is to work with the dogs on steadiness for flyers, both at the line and honoring, at those times when we have an opportunity to train with flyers.

My primary purpose in having the dogs wear the collars and tabs all the time during training is to habituate the dogs to the tabs' presence, so that they don't associate the requirement to be steady with the specific context of a collar and tab. By wearing them all the time, the intent is that the collar and tab be associated in the dogs' minds simply with training, rather than specifically with steadiness around flyers.

Although those are my primary purposes, since the dogs do happen to be wearing the tabs, I'm also taking advantage of them by using them for management while practicing heeling.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]