Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Laddie and Lumi Test 2.5

[Posted to the DogTrek list]

Of course it's obvious that different dogs have different personalities and that with differences in ages and backgrounds, have different training needs.

The last few days have also brought something else home to me: They also have different, possibly opposite, needs for establishing operations (EOs).

EOs, as I understand it, are preconditions in the dog's state that in effect become part of the context for discriminating stimuli. For example, a dog may respond differently to a cue when hungry than when not hungry, especially (but perhaps not necessarily) if the dog's experience is that the probably outcome for a correct response is food.

Last Sunday, Lumi, Laddie, and I did our field training with a group for the first time in several weeks (for a complete description, see the two recent "Group Training" entries in our "Field Training Test Series" blog: ). Though the dogs were aired for several minutes and we did some warm-up drills before the group training began, the dogs had no opportunity to run around in a wide open area.

I ran Lumi first that day and she did reasonably well, the mistakes she made having little or nothing to do with EOs, in my estimation. But when Laddie ran, he showed a behavior I've seen him do before when he hasn't gotten to run around before starting. He ran to the first dummy (the only one yet thrown), picked it up, and then raced off in a long circuit of all the other throwing stations. He never dropped the dummy, and when he'd reached the other end of his long arc, he turned and ran straight back to me. He didn't repeat that behavior on either of the other marks. I attributed it to pent-up energy and made a point on subsequent sessions to give Laddie more time to run around before bringing him into a training series.

Laddie is not unique in performing better if he's had some time to run around first. Bob, the Pro we trained with, once spoke of 2-3 dogs he's trained over the years who only performed well in competition if they'd first been run hard on a back field the day of the event. I've read other trainers describing a similar procedure with their dogs.

Well, today I got to see the other side of the coin in clear relief. Today's planned "test" was fairly long -- 160 yards from the start line to mark #1, and 240 yards from the start line to mark #3 -- much longer than any hunt test. It took me about half an hour to measure the course and put out flags, and during that time, Lumi and Laddie crisscrossed the field over and over again, playing their maniacal game of "it", racing, crashing into one another, biting, tumbling, and generally putting on a show of Golden-style playfulness. Soon, our training partner Barbara showed up with Deuce, her yellow Lab, and he joined the fray.

Now it was time to begin training, and with me thinking Lumi might need a breather, we trained Laddie first, Deuce second, and Lumi last in each round of training. The first round was a retriever drill called "pile work", which we did at short range, and all the dogs did nicely, making visible progress in their particular objectives and seeming well prepared for the retrieving series planned for the second round. For Lumi and Laddie, this was Test 2.5 in our "test series".

It was Laddie's turn again, and his test was picture perfect. Next came Deuce for a variety of mid-range retrieves, and he also had a good series. Finally it was Lumi's turn. If she performed well, Laddie and she would be ready to go onto Test 2.6 in the next day or two.

Well, Lumi didn't limp or show any visible signs of distress, but her performance on every mark was bizarre. On the first mark, she ran to the fall, picked up the dummy, and then ran over to Barbara (the thrower) instead of bringing the dummy back to me. That's a puppy mistake. Thinking it was a fluke, I walked out to her, slipped on her leash, handed the dummy back to Barbara, and walked Lumi back to the start line so we could start the test over.

Lumi did exactly the same thing again. "OK," I thought, "maybe there's something strange about that mark. The next mark is half the length and in a different direction. Hopefully it won't happen again." But it did.

By now, I knew I couldn't pass Lumi on the test, but I wasn't certain whether to continue the series or not. Then I thought of a reason it might be happening. Barbara had gone out to throw carrying two dummies and a duck. The first two marks were dummies. Maybe Lumi was picking up the dummy while scenting the duck and thinking, "This can't be right, I'll see if I can get that duck to bring to Daddy." Not satisfactory performance, not Lumi's usual performance, but a theory. So I decided to have Lumi go ahead and run mark #3, the long 240-yarder with the duck as the retrieval article.

The bizarreness only worsened. This time, Lumi ran to the empty-handed Barbara and pestered her until Barbara used an underhanded throwing motion to draw Lumi's attention toward the duck. At last, Lumi ran to the duck, picked it up, and started galloping toward me. I don't know if I've ever seen Lumi run a mark so strangely, even as a puppy.

It wasn't the last strange thing I'd see. With the dogs back in the van, next I set up our day's blind, a course that required the dog to retrieve one dummy at 140 yards, then go back out a total of 270 yards, with a whistle sit and cast at the scene of the first pick-up.

Again, I ran Laddie first, and he ran the drill perfectly, requiring only the single planned cast and racing at top speed the entire time. Although this was Laddie's longest blind ever by 40 yards, his performance told me that it was actually a pretty easy set-up.

Not, however, for Lumi. When her turn came, she ran out 20 yards on the first send-out, turned to face me, and sat down, as though I had whistled her to a sit. We stared at each other for about 30 seconds, neither of us moving, me hoping that she'd realize she hadn't been cued to sit and would resume her send-out. When I finally accepted that wasn't going to happen, I called her back to me and we set up again. This time, I sent her and then ran beside her for about 10 yards, allowing her to pull away after that. She glanced back, seemed to understand what was happening, and completed the first retrieve. She did better on the second leg, though she needed an extra cast. She ran well the entire way and frolicked as usual as we returned to the van.

What was going on? Why was Lumi's performance so off-base all day? Later it struck me. Thirty minutes of hard running may not have been the best preparation for a series of long land marks followed by a pair of long blinds.

So there it was. Just as Sunday's EO had been right for Lumi and wrong for Laddie, today's EO, which was apparently exactly right for Laddie and resulted in a spectacular day of performance, was exactly wrong for Lumi.

Of course, it might have nothing to do with EO in Lumi's case. Maybe her mind or body is going through something right now. I plan to rest her tomorrow, and then try Test 2.5 again on Friday, using a different start line and different lines of sight but the same distances. I'll give Laddie plenty of time to run around in advance, like today, but Lumi will get a brief warm up and then wait in the van for the training to start.

Different dogs, different EOs. We'll see what happens.

LL&L

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]