Sunday, April 19, 2009

Steadiness Training, Water Blinds

AM: Clevenger's Corner

Today we again drove to a rural area in the vicinity of Warrenton, VA, to train with Dave and a friend of his, and the friend's son.

Dave had one of his dog's along, so we had enough people to set up doubles to work on steadiness, both running and honoring, for both Lumi and Laddie.

After Series A and B, Dave also acted as blind planter so that my dogs could each run a water blind.

SERIES A. Land double (Laddie, then Lumi)

Series A was a rehearsal with dummies instead of fliers.

The kid fired a starter pistol, then threw a dummy right to left at 50 yards. The friend, 90° to the left, fired a shotgun with live ammo, then threw a dummy right to left at 30 yards. The dog was sent to the 30-yard mark as the go-bird, then the 50-yard mark as the memory-bird. Then the dog honored the next dog, who ran the same series. I positioned the honoring dog so that the running dog would run in front, making steadiness even more challenging.

I ran Laddie first. I then had him honor as Dave ran Lumi. Finally, I had Lumi honor as Dave ran his dog.

Both of my dogs wore collars with tabs, but it was unnecessary to hold the tabs. Both of them were rock steady, both running and honoring.

SERIES B. Land double (Laddie, then Lumi)

Series B was identical to Series A with the following differences:
  • The boy threw from a position closer to his dad and threw his dummy left to right, producing what's called a "flower-pot" double.
  • After the boy threw, he went over to his father to throw the duck so his father could concentrate on shooting.
  • Dave and I held the tabs as we ran and honored Laddie and Lumi.
Again, both dogs were steady. Laddie did stand up while honoring, but he didn't move far enough to take up the slack on the tab.

I felt good about the dogs' steadiness, given the following challenges:
  • Ducks, which seem to be my dogs' favorite game
  • Fliers at only 30-yards, closer than any Senior test I've seen
  • Running dog ran in front of the honoring dog
SERIES C. Water blind (Laddie, then Lumi)

As I held the dog out of view, Dave fired a dry shot and planted a duck. I then ran the dog on the blind.

The blind started with a sharp angle entry, which had been a problem for Lumi in our last Senior test so I wanted to work on that. The line was a 40-yard swim, with a fallen tree to the right, the shore side of the line. The blind was planted on shore behind a clump of reeds, and more reeds grew in the water nearby.

Laddie had a great entry, was responsive on WSCs, and handled easily to the blind. However, he had difficulty dealing with the reeds and seemed on the verge of stalling. After a stream of calls from me, he finally entered the water and made a good return and delivery.

Lumi was quite tentative on her initial water entry. Once in the water, she was responsive on WSCs and handled reasonably easily to the blind. She did not pick up the bird and return instantly, but she required relatively little coaxing to do so. Once she entered the water, she made a good return and delivery.

PM: Stadler's Pond

A couple of days ago, Austin mentioned that he used to go fishing at a pond only about five minutes from here. This afternoon, he showed me where it was, in the huge area behind Stadler's Nursery on MD-108. Mr. Stadler happened to be out that way and gave us permission to swim the dogs. Click here for a satellite view of the pond.

It's not a technical pond, with peninsulas or islands, but it's swimming depth with plenty of cover along the shoreline, so I think it serves our immediate purposes well.

For today's session, I had Austin throw a total of four birds for each dog, alternating back and forth between the dogs. The swims were all about 40 yards, cutting a corner of the pond so as to provide some practice against bank running.

The primary goal of the training was to work on Lumi's pick-up speed and Laddie's tendency to stall on the far side of an LWL after picking up the bird. To work on both of those, I instructed Austin to begin walking toward the dog as soon as I blew a come-in whistle, and to pick up the bird if the dog hadn't done so by the time he got to the bird.

The results were mixed. Both dogs recognized that they needed to pick up the bird and get on the move to avoid losing the bird, but they didn't necessarily go right back into the water. Next time, I think I'll have one of the kids run the dogs and I'll do the throwing, so that I can learn the right way to approach the dogs during the pick-up to optimize results.

In addition, I'm hoping that Nate will be able to join us several times over the next couple of weeks, so that the dogs don't learn a quick pick-up and water re-entry only when a particular person -- Austin or me -- is out there. Ideally, we'd also do additional training other locations for further generalization.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]