Friday, March 6, 2009

Land Blinds, Land Series with New Bird Boy

AM: Zion Road

CONDITIONS: Hard ground-snow and frigid temps prevented us from training most of this week, but today temps shot up, melting most of the snow.

SERIES A. Triple blind (Laddie, then Lumi)

For Series A, the first blind was an OD to the left at 90 yards, with the blind in a large patch of high cover. The second blind was an OD in the center at 150 yards, also in the high cover. The third blind was a CCD to the right at 190 yards. Working in an old nursery orchard, our entire course was dotted with many irregularly spaced trees and shrubs of various species and sizes.

PM: Riggs Road

Today the dogs and I were accompanied by Nate and a new bird boy, a schoolmate of Nate's named Austin.

SERIES B. Single mark and double blind (Laddie, then Lumi)

For Series B, the mark was to the right, a WD thrown left to right at 70 yards. The first blind was to the left at 220 yards. The second blind was in the center at 280 yards. Both blinds were ODs marked by LPs barely visible from the SL.

Since I had two helpers, I took this opportunity to give Lumi and Laddie honoring practice. Our sequence was as follows:
  1. With Nate handling the dog, Austin throws the mark, using duck call and gunshot.
  2. I run the dog on both blinds.
  3. I handle the dog honoring while Nate runs the next dog.
In order to give Lumi a chance to honor, Nate ran Laddie on the mark a second time after Laddie and then Lumi had both run the full series.

SERIES C. Single mark

Series C was a 90-yard mark with a good-quality duck, using the same handling sequence as for Series A.

SERIES D. Double mark

Series D was a "momma poppa double", throwing both the long and the short marks of a double. The distances were 30 and 20 yards, and two older ducks were thrown.

To demonstrate the throws, I threw for Laddie, with Nate handling, as Austin watched. Then Austin threw for Lumi, with Nate handling, while I honored Laddie. Finally, Austin threw for Laddie, again with Nate handling, while I honored Lumi.

Dogs, including my dogs, prefer to retrieve fresher birds, so we need to practice with older birds sometimes so that the dogs will have experience them if it comes up in an event or group practice.

Notes on today's honoring. For Series B, C, and D, I had both dogs honor off lead, using our "Just watch" cue and the body language I reserve for honoring, with me off the dog's right flank, facing away from the field and visibly prepared to run toward the van behind us. Once Nate had sent the running dog to the first mark, I called Here, and the honoring dog and I ran back to the van for a high-energy game of happy throws and tug with a puppy dummy.

Today's session included our first honoring practice in some time. Neither dog had any difficulty honoring during Series B and C. During the relatively exciting Series D, Laddie alerted on the throws during Series D, but did not appear on the verge of breaking. Lumi also alerted while honoring during Series D, and did appear on the verge of breaking. Although she didn't break, I'd rather she sat calmly till I called Here. When I set up an honoring context, I don't want her thinking that she might be sent. Hopefully with more well-structured practice, she'll begin to relax more when honoring.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]