Saturday, September 20, 2008

Blinds, Marks, Marks and Blinds

AM: Sundown Park Road

Series A. Triple blind, 120-160-180 yards, all OD, no markers. Blinds at a ball field are too easy for both dogs.

Series B. Poorman double, 120-80 yards, birds thrown from stickmen.

After that, I worked on Lumi's bird pick-up speed with poorman doubles of increasing distances, starting at just 20-15 feet. I had Laddie run them, too, but his pick-ups were already excellent.

Lumi's pick-up speed would improve in one context, but revert to being too slow when I changed location and distance, so we need more work on that.

PM: Brook Knoll

Series C: Planned as follows, left to right within 75°:
  • #4: 130-yard blind, SF/OD
  • #2 (memory-bird of poorman double): 80-yard mark, duck, thrown left to right from stickman
  • #1: 90-yard blind, SF/OD
  • #3 (go-bird of poorman double): 40-yard mark, duck, thrown right to left from stickman
  • #5: 230-yard blind, SF/OD
I ran Lumi first, but modified the sequence:
  • After #1, I threw a short poorman mark with a duck to the side, giving Lumi an opportunity to rehearse a fast pick-up. I call this an alternation drill.
  • I threw #3 as a single. When Lumi picked the bird up and then put it down again to start rearranging it in her mouth, I called out "nope" and walked out to slip on her lead. I tossed the duck back where it had been and walked Lumi back to the SL.
  • I took off Lumi's lead and sent her again. This time she picked the duck up and brought it straight back, to great celebration.
  • I threw #2 as a single, and she brought it straight back.
  • I sent her to #4, and she handled well to it.
  • Finally, rather than running her on #5, I threw #2-#3 as a double. She picked up and returned promptly with each bird. Good progress.
I ran Laddie next in the original planned sequence. He did great. I wasn't perfectly happy on #5 with the last WS at 230 yards, when he was 20 yards to the left of the blind. I'd have preferred that he sat and waited for me to cast him to the right. Instead, he swerved right as soon as I whistled and ran straight to the blind. But I guess I need to accept either dog slipping a whistle if the dog is able to go straight to the blind when it happens.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]