Sunday, December 21, 2008

Land Blinds

[Note: This morning, sheets of ice covered the roads, our van, and the walkway in front of our house. As I went out to warm up the van, I slipped and fell on the steps. With that, I decided not to attempt the one-hour drive to Cheltenham, but rather to train locally. I also decided to let Lumi sleep in and just run Laddie on some long blinds.

As I drove away from the house without having yet decided where to train, I glanced at a power line right-of-way, with pairs of high steel towers carrying cables overhead, only a few blocks from home. After parking and exploring, I decided to run Series A in that field.

After completing Series A, I followed the power lines with my eyes and caught sight of a large open field half a mile away. Noticing the woods and partially visible homes to the right of the field, I decided to see if we could gain access. I found a parking space in a neighborhood immediately adjacent to the field I had spotted, and that's where we ran Series B, C, and D.]

Hadley Farms Drive: Power Line Right-of-way


SERIES A. Triple land blind (Laddie)

The first blind was to the right at 120 yards, midway between a clump of white grass and an old wood pile. The second blind was down the center at 200 yards, thru a keyhole formed by a clump of underbrush on the left and an area woods and underbrush on the right. The blind was placed at the edge of the woods 30 yards past the keyhole. The third blind was to the left at 250 yards. The line to the third blind was thru a keyhole formed by another clump of underbrush on the right and a hedgerow separating that part of the field from the adjacent road on the left.

All blinds were CCDs. The second and third blinds were marked with SFs.

Laddie handled well on the first two blinds, but three times, he went OOC on the left blind and wandered to the left of the hedgerow rather than thru the keyhole. In each case I called him back and resent him. Reflecting on that procedure after Laddie had completed the blind, I concluded that calling him back does not cause Laddie's WSC responsiveness to improve as well as a Walk Out, and decided that I'd use a Walk Out for future slipped whistles as much as possible.

Harbor Tree Road: Power Line Right-of-way

SERIES B. Triple land blind (Laddie)

The first blind was to the right at 150 yard, thru a keyhole at 100 yards formed by a fenced garden on the right and an old work area with debris, including plastic bags, on the left. The second blind was to the left at 300 yards, across a small creek and next to an area of woods and underbrush on the left. The third blind was down the center at 410 yards, thru a keyhole formed by two power line towers. This was the longest blind Laddie has ever run.

All blinds were CCDs, the first one marked with an SF.

Laddie had a slipped whistle at 380 yards the first time I sent him to third blind, and I used a Walk Out to bring him back on lead and resent him. He was responsive throughout the next send-out, including a WS and left Over cast at 410 yards.

SERIES C. Triple land blind (Laddie)

The first blind was to the left at 110 yards, the far side of a log and in front of thick woods. The second blind was down the center at 160 yards, planted in open meadow. The third blind was to the right at 370 yards, thru a keyhole formed by two power line towers.

All blinds were ODs, the center one marked with an SF.

SERIES D. Single land blind (Laddie)

After running so many long blinds, I thought it would be good to remind Laddie that some blinds are closer, since he'll be presumably be running Senior blinds in the spring, at least some shorter than 100 yards. For Series D, I planted a single blind at 70 yards in front of a section of woods, an unmarked CCD placed under the 8' high branches of a large tree.

When I lined Laddie up on Series D, he looked toward the open area to the left a couple of times, and each time I said Nope, causing him to look again in the direction his body was facing. He apparently found the picture confusing and looked up at me with a quizzical expression at one point. When he finally dutifully looked where his body was aimed and I cued Back, he had a rare no-go, as if to say, "This can't be right, there's no room to run in that direction." I reset him and again cued Back, and this time he lined the blind.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]