Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Offline Drill

Lacrosse Field in Afternoon

Offline drill (Laddie): 15-yard segments, three OD/SF, one WD/LP.

Notes

DATE: 9-4-2008
TO: DogTrek and PositiveGunDogs
SUBJECT: Not one size fits all

In most of the drills that I've done with Lumi and Laddie, I've pretty much used the same version of the drill for both dogs.

But the last couple of days, I decided to start Laddie on a drill I previously designed and refined for Lumi to address the same problem, which was the dog becoming increasingly inclined to slip whistles and follow his/her own instincts for how to complete the retrieve. In Lumi's case, I later used the near miraculous walk-out technique to put on the finishing touches, but after a couple of sessions with Laddie, I felt that he didn't really understand the game well enough for the walk-out to work. If the dog doesn't know how to make walk-out stop happening, the risk is that he/she will begin to think that the walk-out itself is actually part of the game. Obviously I didn't want that to happen with Laddie.

So for Laddie, I thought I'd run him on the offline drill I described some time ago. Basically, you send the dog toward a well understood target, then stop the dog on the way out and cast him/her left or right to a target he/she hadn't previously noticed. Over a series of sessions, you increase the distances.

With Lumi, I started at 15-yard segments, with three orange dummies placed alternately to the left or right of the back line, and a white dummy placed at a lining pole at the end of the back line. On every send out, I'd send her straight down the back line toward the white dummy, but the first three times, I'd stop her with a whistle and cast her "over" to one of the orange dummies. Thus Lumi ran out 15 yards then one direction to retrieve the first orange dummy, 30 yards then the other direction for the second retrieve, 45 yards and the first direction for the third retrieve, and finally 60 yards without stopping to pick up the white dummy. Over several days, the segments increased 5 yards at a time until we got to 40 yard segments and a 160-yard back line. By that time, Lumi understood the game and its lesson -- stop when I whistle even if you think you know where you're going -- and we were able to go back to running real blinds.

Since that proved to be a useful drill for Lumi, I thought it would be good for Laddie's comprehension at this stage, too. Yesterday afternoon, I tried him with those initial 15-yard segments. It was an eye-opener.

First of all, Laddie's so fast that when I whistled at 15 yards, even though he responded quickly, he was already even with the next orange dummy. To get him to stop at 15 yards, I'd have to whistle almost as soon as I sent him.

But that wasn't the main problem. The main problem was that I have tremendous admiration for this dog's exuberance. When he runs, he runs with all his heart. Do I really want him slowing down because I might whistle him after only 15 or 30 yards? What's that going to do to his 300 yard blinds, and what's that going to do to his marks when I don't want him stopping at all?

Yet I can't just stretch out the drill, because like any dog (I assume), Laddie's responsiveness is best when he's closest, so that's where I need to rehearse him and then add distance gradually.

I had to face the fact that Lumi's version of the offline drill wasn't right for Laddie, and decided I needed a different version for him, though the lesson -- stop when I whistle -- was the same.

That's really all I wanted to say: one size sometimes doesn't fit all.

For curiosity, here's the version I came up with for Laddie:

* One orange dummy to one side, one to the other side, and three white dummies at the lining pole at the end of the back line.
* Send Laddie the same direction every time: to the end first (no stop), then handle him on the short orange dummy, then again all the way to the end, then handle him to the longer orange dummy, and finally all the way to the end again.

We ran the drill this morning with 20-yard segments (60-yards total), and Laddie did great, but still tended to overrun a bit. This evening we ran it with 30-yard segments (90-yards total) and he did even better. Great responsiveness on both the sits and the casts, and at those distances, not too much out of position on his overruns. Both times, the best part might have been watching his joy on those three non-handling blinds, his ears blowing back as he hammered the turf, and feeling that I wasn't inadvertently training him not to give his all.

This would not have been a good version of the drill for Lumi. For her, all those long runs would have been tedious, possibly painful, and pointless. Once she understood the offline drill, I think she appreciated the way it started with short, easy retrieves, and didn't wear her out running her all the way to the end repeatedly.

Yet for Laddie, that's where the fun is.

Lindsay, with Lumi & Laddie (Goldens)
Laytonsville, Maryland

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]