Saturday, June 28, 2008

ARCHIVE: Marginal Notes from January 2008

The Holodeck Training Series

In December 2007, Lumi, Laddie, and I resumed group training, this time with a wonderful Field Trial group that meets on Sunday mornings at Rover's Content in Cheltenham, Maryland. Because we had previously group trained primarily with a Hunt Test group, I did not anticipate how difficult it would be to modify each set-up for our own needs.

By mid-January 2008, I realized that I could not successfully make such modifications spontaneously, simply by looking at the set-ups and deciding what needed to be changed. Instead, I needed to plan ahead for what we should work on each session, and then figure out that morning how to carry out that plan with the available set-up.

Alice Woodyard coined the term Holodeck Training to describe the process of modifying a group training set-up for individual needs. I use the term Holodeck Program for the training plan that I now prepare in advance each week to guide my modifications to the group set-up.

Accordingly, I've begun to journal our Holodeck Training sessions, including an advance posting of each session's Holodeck Program. I've also included some posts on our training away from the group.

No comments:

[Note that entries are displayed from newest to oldest.]